The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
How deep is your substrate? Swords can get pretty big. Perhaps the roots have just doubled back, having no where else to go?

It probably has plenty of roots below the surface. I have a large sword that does that somewhat and the substrate in that part of the back of the tank is ~5".
I just came across this post and I'm having the same issue all of the sudden. my Corey are huge diggers - lately more than ever (laying eggs a lot more too). My sword is pretty large and about 4 years old. Do I need to trim the roots or just keep pushing them back in? I have 3" of sand but just got another bag to add.

Green Plant Vertebrate Light Organism

Here is a picture of it.
I've been growing pothos plants in the top of the tank. Could that have an impact?
The pothos plants are in a cut pool noodle so just the roots are in the water.

Edit: normally I don't have that many baby plecos but I was waiting to take them to my LFS to donate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Substrate is not deep enough.
I agree, in my experience, 2" of the substrate is not enough for swords when they grow big. Also, you're issue isnt coming from a single reason. The substrate depth in addition to the fish digging around all work together. Just add another inch of substrate and you should be good.

Love your sword, it looks amazing. Good job!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.