The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am in the process of figuring out the set up for a 50 g I want to get running. The tank is going to be low light and low tech. Can you guys recommend some nice swords that won't out grow the tank? I feel like a lot of the ones I was looking out seemed to potentially get way too big. The tank is only 18 inches tall. Thanks

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
If you're really that worried about swords outgrowing the tank, there are some smaller ones, like the tropica sword (Echinodorus parviflora), Echinodorus osiris, and the dragon sword.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those all look really nice. I want a mix of some of the smaller ones and some that will grow to just about the surface of the tank.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Stay away from "Red Rubins" and "Marble Queen" swords. I've found the former to grow to about 3' and the latter closer to 4'.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
IMO almost any Sword will be too big for a 50 gallon tank, most are too big for my 150, with the exception of Echinodorus Angustifolia "Vesuvius" and some pygmy chain swords. I would take a look a some of the bigger Cryptocorynes, not only are the shape and colors in the leaves beautiful, they mostly grow slowly and are easy and undemanding.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
trimming prevents this =p
Not at all.

Each generation of leaves is longer and larger than the last, so that trimming just means you have dozens of huge, rotting leaves. The petioles often don't rot, so you have empty stalks if you cut at the base. The leaves form from the center and will grow straight to 24" or more regardless of how you have been trying to trim.

In the case of marble queen, the leaves are at the end of 3' long stalks, so if you trim at the water line, then your plant has no leaves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts