The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so a few weeks ago I was the lucky recipient of an Amazon sword plant here in SnS. It was big enough that I got two plants out of it. Now I am madly in love with sword plants! Hopefully, it will do well in my light conditions - I run low light/low tech tanks. No added Co2, but dirt tanks with root tabs, etc.
I have two 55s, two 29s, and a 40b. The 40b is the only one set up now and the swords are in it. What other sword types would look good/do well in tanks my size? I know they get big, but they are the focal plant, too.
Once I get it figured out, I want to post WTB ads on SnS...
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a red melon in another tank I'm in the middle of breaking down - but I doubt I'd get that color on the red rubin with low light. The 24" woudn't be a problem though, I don't mind if they drape over themselves a bit!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Kleiner Bar is really nice, so is E. parviflorus.

You should get some of those new hybrid varieties from Germany. I think they might have some for sale at sweetaquatics.com.
I have the kleiner prinz and Tanzender Feuerfeder (I don't feel like looking up the spelling of either plant) swords that I received that were mature but grown emersed. The newer leaves on both are starting to color but with all the tannins in the tank I can't tell for sure if they are a rich brown or an actual red but they claim to be red. On the kleiner prinz swords (which stay pretty small for sword plants) they definitely look like they are going to have intense coloration and patterning (more than red ozelots but probably not as crazy as the really red swords) but I just can't tell exactly what that color and patterning is going to be yet.

From what I was able to dig up before I bought them I think that the Kleiner Prinz swords would be a great option for you if you can find them.

edit: at the site that Hydrophyte recommended they have a picture of a Kleiner Prinz that looks very much like the new growth that mine are showing. The other pictures there (for the potted versions of the plant) look much like my emersed grown potted plants looked like.

A link (hopefully) to the submersed look of the kleiner prinz:

http://www.sweetaquatics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=180_85&products_id=822

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.