The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting back into the hobby after life got in the way. I know a lot has probably changed in the last 6 years, but I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right directon. I didn't have very good luck with plants in the past, but I remember my amazon swords did really well.

I am going to be setting up a 90 gallon tank. I am mainly interested in growing Amazon & Ozelot swords.. Afyer doing some reading, I have found light recommendations from low to high or 2-6 wpg. I know wpg is outdated. I started reading through other threads, but am confused on lumens & par for comparing T5, T5HO, or LEDs. I would like to keep it under $200 & as energy efficient as possible.

Thank you.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The dimensions of the tank would help. If you are going with a low tech tank, forget going above 2wpg. I grew swords in my 15 column (20in to substrate) in 1.5wpg of cheap cfl bulbs. They grow tall, so they end up getting pretty close to the light. You will need root tabs. Once you start getting over 2wpg, you will need some sort of carbon source. Much higher, you will need pressurized c02 or you will have an algae fest. Swords are a pretty easy low light plant. Check out the Finnex 24/7. It has a dimmer if it ends up being to much light.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Swords don't need all that much light, somewhere around 40 PAR at the canopy will make them happy. You should be able to get this with a Finnex planted plus or 24/7. You may need two of them to get even coverage over a 90 though, which would be over you budget. A single bar will grow plants fine, but there would be shadowing under the leaves of the swords, especially once they got large. I've never used T5HOs, but again you shouldn't need too much light - I'd guess that a dual bulb the full length of the tank would get you there.

-Justin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.