The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some water quality issues with my 7g aquarium and am looking to do a partial water change with RO water until I can verify my tap water.

Are there any issues that I should be aware of in using RO? do I need to worry about adding anything at this point?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
861 Posts
People will need a bit more info about your tank, what are you housing it it? I believe RO water has 0 minerals, so yes you'll have to add something, but without knowing what the tank set up is and inhabitants I can't tell you anything else.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
specs
7g Aqua Pro aquarium (50cm x 20cm x 22cm)
Eheim 2210 filter w/ Do!Aqua lily minis, with purigen & bio media
CO2 paintball canister w/ Aquatek mini regulator & solenoid, Do!Aqua diffuser & bubble counter
Okho stone w/ ADA aquasoil new amazonia

flora
eleocharis acicularis
hemianthus callitricoides
dwarf red lily
clover

fauna
boraras maculata x1 (recently lost a school of these due to current water problems)
danio erythromicron x3
caridina sp. bumblebee x2
caridina multidentata x4
pangio kuhlii x2

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Puyallup here,my step-mom lives in Issaquah!

And I'm forced to use RO or, more recently, distilled water. Have very hard water here in the valley.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Puyallup here,my step-mom lives in Issaquah!

And I'm forced to use RO or, more recently, distilled water. Have very hard water here in the valley.

Hi Rob!

The water comes out of the tap ~7 to 7.2, but the aquasoil brings it down to 6.3

What do you add to your RO for your shrimp?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm on the other side in Klahanie. If the shrimps are fine I wouldn't worry too much unless everything else starts dying. What kinda shrimps you got there?
Four amanos and two bees. I'm worried as these little guys are supposed to be bullet proof.... I really thought my shrimp were more the 'canary in the coal mine' so am shocked that my rassys are gone. That and I loved their playfulness. :(

Am trying to figure out what was different this week that might have caused this. (eg the tap water has had an odor, fishy smell++, this week)

They didn't all go at once, four initially jumped what looks like all in a row, so I assumed it to be an accident while they were surfing the current like they like to do. The others left all looked fine, eating, roaming & surfing the current a bit too. Then two days later, four are gone. One found dead in the bottom of the tank, the other three missing.

The next day, today, of the three that were left, only one remains. One I found outside the tank, the other is just missing. And still the lone rassy looks just fine and is trying to school with the danios. :confused:

I really don't see water parameters being out of whack due to the shrimp looking fine (the amanos are clear, not cloudy at all)

But I have had this week a bloom in what looks like staghorn algae. That coupled with the smelly tap water and I though it best to use RO until I can test the tap water.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
I use Seachem Equalibrium, carefully. A little goes a long way!

And the various substrates in my tanks keep the pH in good places.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Are you sure that the Raspora were/is eating? Some of the small ones can be very picky.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use Seachem Equalibrium, carefully. A little goes a long way!

And the various substrates in my tanks keep the pH in good places.

Thanks, I'll look into the Seachem Equalibrium. :smile:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you sure that the Raspora were/is eating? Some of the small ones can be very picky.

Actually, I'm not sure that the seven that were left after the initial four died were eating. Since I was thinking the intial deaths were an accident, I was more concerned about trying to get this new algae under control. It infested all of the dwarf hair grass within a few days! Now I wish I had paid more attention to those seven, but they were schooling and surfing the current like normal.

Food wise, I did introduce some new steamed zucchini into the tank twice this week, fed in the evening and only left over night. The shrimp ate it and are ok, so don't think that caused anything.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Could be a food thing then.

I had some for a while, disappeared before long. Everything else in the tank was fine. Seems my finely ground flake food wasn't good enough for them.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
BTW: Algae is very common in new or newish tanks. It's normally not much of a problem for the tank occupants. We just don't like seeing it take over.

:)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW: Algae is very common in new or newish tanks. It's normally not much of a problem for the tank occupants. We just don't like seeing it take over.

:)

I've never had such issues with algae in any of my tanks before... this is crazy. I just got rid of bga and now two algae have sprung up to take it's place but much harder to manually remove. Makes me wish for the bga back...

I don't think the algae was/is hurting the fish, but that its appearance timing coincides with the smelly water this week. I'm not sure, but the water could have had higher than normal something in it that fed the algae bloom, and caused water problems. maybe?

On the food, I've been feeding Hikari micro pellets since I got them at the end of October. They seemed to be growing, so I think they were able to ingest it. They are super tiny fish, and I hope to replace them as soon as I figure out what happened.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Keep them coming, I appreciate brainstorming what could be the problem.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a quick note that the RO water has made a big difference. Yesterday, I added Seachem Equalibrium. At least two of the amanos molted. (It's always a scare initially when I see those molts sitting there as they look so much like dead shrimp.)

I don't think I've ever seen them look so crystal clear. All rows of their dots were clearly visible. They were all out this morning, as were the bees, perusing the tank for food.

Thanks again for the tip! :biggrin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.