The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the process of switching to low-tech, I don't have time to keep up with maintenance for a CO2 tank anymore.
My first question is about lighting. I have an aquatic life ballast that fits 2 bulbs. I won't be able to hang it, and it sits about 4 inchs on top of the water. If I use only 1 6500k bulb, it seems like I will still have high light. (I was reading the PAR thread).
The tank itself is 29 Gallons. Would I have to get a new ballast or is there a different bulb I can get? Unless of course I read the PAR thread totally wrong :hihi:

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
If you can place two layers of window screen on top of the tank it will cut the light.
I have never tried to run a T5 light with only one bulb in it so don't know how/if that works. Zoo Med makes a one bulb T5 fixture listed under Reptiles if your interested.
Any way you go it will cost to get a new light set up. But for about $40 you can get two Clamp on lights from Home Depot and the two CFL bulbs(13W works well on 10g or 20L tanks but it may take the 26W for the 29g) and they usually take off the clamp and hang it from the cord on a shelf bracket over the tank. Can be spray painted black.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Instead of 1 light bulb I can do 2 light bulbs, but 1 being an actinic bulb. Is there any 6500k t5-NO? Or would there be a better low wattage light to put in the fixture?

Also I never really had a good time with clamp on lights, and I can't hang them off of anything, I live in a town house and I don't want to put holes in things.

If it comes down to it i might just have to do the window screen.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I wouldn't go the actinic route. 1) I suspect you'd still end up with too much light and have algae issues and 2) I personally don't like the look of blue light over planted tanks, everything looks all washed out.

Did you try your fixture yet to see if it will run with just one bulb? That might work.

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/lights...light-fixture-zid36-16413/cat-36-catid-300073

Pretty sure that fixture is the old Coralife fixture rebranded that always was the perfect amount of light for my own 29gal low light setups.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, turns out it won't run with just 1 bulb in it. So it looks like I might have to purchase a single bulb fixture. Also 6500k is to high for low light. Is there any other bulb?

Also how high is your light fixture from your tank, lauraleellbp?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so your 29g looks amazing. 2nd I love the aquascape. It looks like you have the fixture right on the tank. So I must know what bulbs are you using?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Oh thanks! I miss that tank, took it down a few years ago for a move. It's currently sitting out in my garage all forelorn...

I ran the bulbs that came in the fixture, and it sat right on top of the tank. If I remember correctly, the bulbs were a 6700k and a pink Coralife plant grow bulb?? 18 watt T5NO?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Some news, I found my old fixture that came with the tank, it said it was 18watts and a fluorescent bulb. I switched it with the main fixture, and it looks really dark.
I switched back but took the glass piece of the old fixture and set it on top of the tank, with the main fixture. It looks a little darker in the tank. So my question now is how much light did I just cut off?

Would it be a good idea to just start adding low light plants and see if I get algae? Or would there be a chance of melting leaves? Does that even happen? I know you can melt coral >.>

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Pretty sure that Kara just ran the old standard single 18 watt T8 fixture over her own 30gal, you might check out her tank to see how her plants did: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71201&highlight=

IMO you'd have a lot more plant options and probably would be able to cut down on "leggy" growth with a bit more light over your tank. But you can certainly work with what you've got.

(My fixture has two 18 watt T5NO bulbs)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, I think I know where am going to go with the tank. Thank you for the help. I am going to start my research on plants and plan out what kind to get.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts