The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2x39w t5ho sls retro currently. With 6500k 2x39 watts in my 30g I was able to grow HC, bylxa, and downoi without problems. Now here is the issue. I want to put this same fixture over my 38g and substitute one of the 6500k bulbs with an actinic for color and to lower my wpg of usable light. Would this lighting, 39w 6500k and 39w actinic now be considered a low tech lighting for my 38g? Is actinic light usable to algae? I would hate for my plants to only 39w while the algae is having a field day with 78w.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Ry, an old (I believe unproven) assumption is that actinics can promote algae. That said, they sure give a nice glow to Neons. One option is to use full power, raise the light up a lot, and use some sort of screen to shield your eyes. Or use a less efficient reflector.

Or you could try the actinic and see if that assumption is not really true...

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im going to give this a shot. The rear lamp is a 14000k actinic and the front lamp is a 6500k. The 6500k is in the front because I am going to try to grow hairgrass in 1wpg with no co2. I think the mass amount of water surface agitation and water turnover ill help me sustain a higher then tap water co2 level. Ill have to test the water once I am up in running.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.