The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old CF light over my 20 gal long. I want to switch to LED. What to look for when buying a LED light. I am running DIY Co2 in the tank.

When I run out of light bulbs for my 80 Gal low tech tank I would to get a LED light for that one too. Its a deep tank. I have LED lights on my 100Gal and love it but I don't have plants in so it does not matter much about the amount of light.

Should what should I look for when buying LED Lights.

Here are a few Lights I have picked out for the 20gal long. What one to pick.

I love the price. But is this enough light?

This one it my first pick but could it be over kill for a 20 Gal long becasue it is not that deep?

This one looks good too.
Amazon.com : Beamswork LED Pent 36 0.50W Timer Aquarium Light 130x 0.50W LEDs : Pet Supplies

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
3rd one is more reef centric coloration (high K blue/white light)
2nd one is overkill for low tech, though hacking in a dimmer is not a problem.
1st one is borderline possibly too little light..Fine for low tech and most undemanding plants..but

This is a light version of #3 but w/ slightly richer color due to the addition of the red/green diodes..
LED Aquarium Lighting Freshwater Bright

As a starting point take the wattage of your cf and divide by 2.. this is a "baseline" start for replacing w/ LED..
Not a very accurate metric, but a start..
If you get an LED of equal wattage you can guarantee a boost in PAR output..w/a few exceptions..

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks that was helpful. The second one is my favorite but since the tank is not that deep it might be too much.

As for fertilizer and co2 it's diy right now the drop checker is almost yellow but I like to try and keep it green. I am new to citric acid diy sof I am still getting the hang of it. I most likely will switch to a paint ball set up this year.

Fertilizer is flourish and iron mainly once a day or every other day. I am not the best at keeping track. I have mostly Val in this tank. So it's not like I am growing any fancy stuff.

I am look for a light that is in between 1 and 2. In the end I might just go with #2 because it can't hurt too much to have extra lights. There are ways to weaken the light if I need.. rather have too much than too little.

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
Thanks that was helpful. The second one is my favorite but since the tank is not that deep it might be too much.

As for fertilizer and co2 it's diy right now the drop checker is almost yellow but I like to try and keep it green. I am new to citric acid diy sof I am still getting the hang of it. I most likely will switch to a paint ball set up this year.

Fertilizer is flourish and iron mainly once a day or every other day. I am not the best at keeping track. I have mostly Val in this tank. So it's not like I am growing any fancy stuff.

I am look for a light that is in between 1 and 2. In the end I might just go with #2 because it can't hurt too much to have extra lights. There are ways to weaken the light if I need.. rather have too much than too little.
Makes sense.. W/ a tiny bit of electrical skill, you can add a PWM manual dimmer for a few bucks..
Just keep under the 8A limit. W/ 15V this would be 120 Watts..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.