The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My single stage reg has 1/4" ports with a solenoid and NV (which I adore since it's so insensitive) could I just simple unscrew the solenoid & needle valve and just screw it into a new regulator body? Are there any "cheap" 2 stage regs with 1/4" ports?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yes, that is what you should do. Just search ebay for regulators. The listing doesn't usually tell you if they are dual stage, because the people selling them know nothing about them. Do you know how to tell if it is dual stage?

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should have the thing jutting out from the back. And if in doubt I'll just look up model numbers etc.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Assuming you can figure out which ones are single vs. dual stage, the only issue you should have (virtually all of them should have 1/4" NPT ports, except the really cheap ones, which have 1/8" NPT) will be the angle at which the outlets come off of the regulator. That's all easy to work around, but it will likely require you to add or replace a fitting or two. Not a big deal, but something to remember. A handful of bucks at most.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I build my own inline BC so it's not an issue. Alright then. Definitely on my to-buy list but not for awhile. I have a 10# tank running only like 2BPS. It'll be okay for at least 2 years.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to check again. So I just need a stripped regulator right? I can just take off the gauges, nv, solenoid, cga fitting and just screw it all into a corresponding regulator and that's it? It seems that decent 2 stage reg bodies are only like 30-50 bucks.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Don't put a 50 psi full scale pressure gauge on a regulator that can give you 200 psi output. It is highly likely that you will one day ruin that gauge if you do. I would leave the gauges on the regulator as they are, and just install the needle valve, solenoid valve, bubble counter on it. Two stage regulators are intended for uses where the outlet pressure is important, so they will have good output pressure gauges already installed. (If the regulator was made to be used with remote gauges it won't have gauges installed, but most of them do have them. The ones made for remote gauges will generally be the best quality though, since they will probably be made for laboratory uses.) Just try to get one where the regulator max output pressure is only 100 psi or so, so it is easy to read the pressure when it is around 10 psi.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.