The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the least cluttered way to set up a canister-filtered aquarium? I have a stock 29g with an oversized HOB but I'm still not happy with CO2 distribution. If I go with a canister, I'd like to install the heater and CO2 diffuser in-line to minimize clutter. For that reason I'm not interested in a powerhead. If possible I'd also like to install a drilled baffle to hide the remaining plumbing as seen on this page.

Is this installation even possible on a tank already in service?

In one pic there it appears that both the outflow and spraybar are hidden behind the baffle. Is that good enough for distributing the CO2 throughout the tank? Other pics elsewhere often have the spraybar running parallel just below the surface.

And what are lily pipes anyway?

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Lily Pipes are glass intake and returns.

I would recommend the following: Lily pipe intake to Eheim 2217 to Hydor 200 watt inline heater to Aquariumplants.com Carbon Doser EXT5000 to Lily pipe return.

This would clear all your equipment out an allow plenty of flow so you shouldn't need a power head in the tank.

Craig

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions; I found some pics of the lily pipes on an ADA website. I'm having trouble picturing how the diffusion would work though.

I'm currently using an atomic diffuser on the gravel just beneath a large HOB outflow. That creates strong flow but I'm having issues with spot algae on the lysimachia six inches laterally away from the flow. That's on the short axis of the tank, granted, unlike the lily pipe, but still how can it reach throughout the lower levels of the tank without being a jet?

·
Registered
736 Posts
craigthor has some good ideas...all that will work great! You could also just try hiding the stuff behind driftwood and plants. That's what I did with my tank. You can't even see any equipment in there. I have the diffuser and inlet pipe hidden behind the scape.

·
Registered
736 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
I heard that eheim uses green hoses because the color limits light that would cause algae growth in your tubing. I've heard from people that use the green tubing for a long time that you don't get nearly as much buildup as you do with lily pipes. I do have to say that I love the look of clean lily pipes, but I don't exactly love the thought of cleaning them every few weeks just to keep them looking pristine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.