The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm closing down my reef and starting up a planted South American tank. I'm planning on using most of the same equipment:

T-5 & VHO lights
Sump (will be turned into a filter with bioballs, filter pad, etc)
Return Pump Mag 9.5 hooked up to a Wavy Sea for a dispersed gentle current

Should I keep the ozone?

I'm going to add CO2 - should I place the diffuser in the return pump chamber so I don't lose CO2 to the atmosphere or is that not really an issue? If not, I could place it in the main body of the sump.

·
Registered
689 Posts
CO2 diffuser if your talking about the kind that you place in your tank it should be near the intake unless you are talking about the inline kind then it should be on the return hose. As far as ozone dont know what that is so probobly dont need it:icon_lol:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Welcome to the green side. :wink:

OK, I don't have a sump, but I almost did and are some things I would do:

I'm closing down my reef and starting up a planted South American tank. I'm planning on using most of the same equipment:

T-5 & VHO lights
OK, do you already know about light spectrum, actinics will have to be replaced? how much light do you have?
Sump (will be turned into a filter with bioballs, filter pad, etc)
OK, please try to make sure that you reduce splashing when water comes into the sump to help prevent CO2 out gassing. Also you might want to try and cover the sump.

Return Pump Mag 9.5 hooked up to a Wavy Sea for a dispersed gentle current
:proud:

Should I keep the ozone?
No need for Ozone.

I'm going to add CO2 - should I place the diffuser in the return pump chamber so I don't lose CO2 to the atmosphere or is that not really an issue? If not, I could place it in the main body of the sump.
Personally I would build a DIY reactor and put it inline on the mag 9.5.

If you want to go diffuser, IMO your best bet would be in the tank, under your outflow.

There are a few reef converts, and folks with sumps who I hope can add to this, and correct anything that I might have got wrong.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the green side. :wink:

OK, I don't have a sump, but I almost did and are some things I would do:
OK, do you already know about light spectrum, actinics will have to be replaced? how much light do you have?
It's a 65 gallon tank - 36" x 18" x 24" deep -- 2x39 HO T-5 w/ Tek reflectors(10,000K & 6500K) and 2x75VHO (actinic that I'll replace with 6500K - or would 10,000K be better?)

OK, please try to make sure that you reduce splashing when water comes into the sump to help prevent CO2 out gassing. Also you might want to try and cover the sump.
The discharge already dumped in below the NOL to reduce salt creep so that shouldn't be a problem.

No need for Ozone. Personally I would build a DIY reactor and put it inline on the mag 9.5.If you want to go diffuser, IMO your best bet would be in the tank, under your outflow.
There are a few reef converts, and folks with sumps who I hope can add to this, and correct anything that I might have got wrong.

I didn't know about injecting it inline. I'll have to look into that. Any advantage to using the big open space in the sump as another planted area and putting it on a reverse photo period?

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
It's a 65 gallon tank - 36" x 18" x 24" deep -- 2x39 HO T-5 w/ Tek reflectors(10,000K & 6500K) and 2x75VHO (actinic that I'll replace with 6500K - or would 10,000K be better?)
Whatever you like to look at better, either will grow plants.

I didn't know about injecting it inline. I'll have to look into that.
here are some simple plans:
http://www.rexgrigg.com/diy-reactor.htm
But Considering you are using a Mag 9.5 i would drop Rex an e-mail, for what would be a good length, and diameter.

Lots of good info on his site in general
http://www.rexgrigg.com/

Any advantage to using the big open space in the sump as another planted area and putting it on a reverse photo period?
As a refugium?
If you have the extra lights, It sounds like a winning proposition to me.
when you dose, if you dose according to tank size, take the sump into consideration.
Hey even a low light with just Hornwort or Anacharis will add lots of oxygen, and use up extra nutrients.

Thanks for your input
no prob. There are a lot of other great sump resources here.
Mine is just 1 way to do it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I did a heavily planted 'fuge on a reverse photo period, would that negate the need for CO2 injection?

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
If I did a heavily planted 'fuge on a reverse photo period, would that negate the need for CO2 injection?
I tell youi what... that is absolutely brilliant thinking out of the box! Unorthodox, yes. But I suppose it takes a complete newb to challenge orthodoxy.

Thanks for asking the question!

Unfortunately, it appears that carbon (principal component of CO2) is a macro nutrient. So while there is the whole inhale in daylight, exhale at night thing going on, the net is that far more carbon is taken in than is expelled.

So your thinking, with the off-setting planted sump, is WAY cool. Too bad it won't work.

But it deserves recognition as MAJOR clever thinking! Good job.

And BTW - welcome to the Green Side. You may find that it tears up those preconceived notions of "Salt hard - fresh easy"!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts