The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So have been following some of the discussions here regarding the potential negative effects CSM-B/TNC-Trace can have due to the EDTA chelator. I am looking for info regarding replacements, is there any dry fert micro mix I can use instead? Preferably with DTPA or a better chelator. Having a hard time finding any alternatives.
Read about EDTA on wiki and it seems that it could be toxic to some extent. Not sure if the amount we use for EI in our tanks is enough to make it toxic but why chance it, right?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi Fissure,

Seachem Flourish has all of the micro-nutrients in it that is in CSM+B including Boron although in lower doses. Seachem Flourish Trace has some of the lesser known trace elements which are seldom an issue. I'm sure that ADA or Tropica offer micro-nutrient fertilizers as well. Now do any or all of these sources for micro-nutrients use chelating agents and if so do they use EDTA.....unknown. Is your concern that the EDTA chelating agent 'drops off' quickly as the tank PH approaches and climbs above a PH of about 6.5?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah there are those premixed ones but due to them being overpriced and me having two tanks one normal and one big I would prefer a dry mix and mix myself. What I have read about EDTA is that it is toxic to one extent or another. And my ph is around 6.5-6.7 so it might not be as effective as well. Seems rather difficult to find a drymix using any other chelator than EDTA

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi Fissure,

All of the micro-nutrients in Plantex NutriTrace (previously Plantex CSM)(the boron (+B) should be added by the seller) are chelated with EDTA. Grow More makes a EDDHA chelated 6% iron offered on Amazon, so all that is left to find are manganese, magnesium, zinc, copper, and molybdenum that are chelated with something other than EDTA.

Personally I have dosed CSM(+B) from aquariumfertilzer.com (they do add the boron) for almost 7 years and have not had any noticeable toxicity issues; I dose per the Estimative Index (EI) recommended dosages.

Plantex NutriTrace (previously CSM)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.