The Planted Tank Forum banner

Switching GH booster

210 4
I just mixed up my first batch of RO water using Bee Shrimp instead of my usual Equilibrium. I’ve matched the temp, Gh, and Kh. The TDS, though, has gone from around 400 (Equilibrium) to 200 (Bee Shrimp). I plan on dripping the water in over an hour or so. Will this be safe? This will be a 50% water change on a fish only tank and a 20% change on a fish/neocaridina tank. Thanks!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
When I switched my two neocardina colonies from tap to remineralized water (salty shrimp gh/kh+), I was doing 20% water changes without issues. My tap parameters were gh 9/10, kh 4/5 and TDS was around 350 that time of year. The remineralized water was gh 8/9, kh 3/4 and TDS was around 200. And ive never dripped, i always just use some unrestricted airline tubing, place new water above above the tank, start a siphon and let gravity do it's thing.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the input. I changed 50% of the water in my 40 gal fish only tank on Sunday. The TDS dropped from 428 to 305. Everyone seems to be doing fine. In fact, this morning (Tuesday) my C. Aeneus were spawning for the first time! The Gh booster switch seems to have been a hit.

· Registered
39 Posts
Glad to hear (read lol). That's awesome they spawned, when I parted ways with my cherry shrimp colony, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with that tank. So I tossed like 3 or 4 Buenos Aires Tetras in, which ive done before. A day or two later the GF asked me why the bigger one looked skinnier, id wondered if they had spawned, so i took em out. A couple of days later I had lil fry everywhere, first and only time ive spawned fish.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the fry survive? I saved as many eggs as I could and put them in a mesh basket in my quarantine tank. But I’ll be away for a few days so I have no idea what’s happening with them. I considered skipping family Thanksgiving so I could stay home and watch!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts