The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all; Long time fresh water hobbyist here but never got into lighting. I have always used simple fluorescent strip lights. I would like to upgrade the light for my 26 gallon bowfront with VersaGlass top and am bewildered by the choices at my lfs. I was looking for a simple, double strip fluorescent but it seems they don't exist in a 24" and the lfs told me LED is the way to go. I don't know. I've always liked the flush mount feature of the fluorescent strip hood and feel that the newer LED lights with the stands on either end looks a bit more commercial rather than appropriate for a bedroom. Nevertheless, if LED is the way to go, I'm open to it. Thoughts? I have narrowed down the choices to finnex 247, finnex planted plus, current satellite, and marineland. I don't think the 247 light cycle feature would be of interest to me so the lfs suggested the finnex planted plus and perhaps the Curretn satellite. Then at Petco I spotted the Marineland 24" LED light and have always been impressed by this company.

The only plants I currently have is one large anubias which has grown quite nicely around a piece of driftwood but I would like to get into other easy to grow plants, if this helps the forum with suggestions. Also, I currently moderate sized diameter gravel. One person at the lfs said I would need to switch to small diameter gravel for rooted plants, but then the owner told me my current gravel would be OK for rooted plants if I used the Fluorish liquid or pellet product.

Any advice for a new light fixture would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
12,528 Posts
Hi all; Long time fresh water hobbyist here but never got into lighting. I have always used simple fluorescent strip lights. I would like to upgrade the light for my 26 gallon bowfront with VersaGlass top and am bewildered by the choices at my lfs. I was looking for a simple, double strip fluorescent but it seems they don't exist in a 24" and the lfs told me LED is the way to go. I don't know. I've always liked the flush mount feature of the fluorescent strip hood and feel that the newer LED lights with the stands on either end looks a bit more commercial rather than appropriate for a bedroom. Nevertheless, if LED is the way to go, I'm open to it. Thoughts? I have narrowed down the choices to finnex 247, finnex planted plus, current satellite, and marineland. I don't think the 247 light cycle feature would be of interest to me so the lfs suggested the finnex planted plus and perhaps the Curretn satellite. Then at Petco I spotted the Marineland 24" LED light and have always been impressed by this company.

The only plants I currently have is one large anubias which has grown quite nicely around a piece of driftwood but I would like to get into other easy to grow plants, if this helps the forum with suggestions. Also, I currently moderate sized diameter gravel. One person at the lfs said I would need to switch to small diameter gravel for rooted plants, but then the owner told me my current gravel would be OK for rooted plants if I used the Fluorish liquid or pellet product.

Any advice for a new light fixture would be appreciated. Thanks
always thought these were kind of bedroom sexy.. ;)
Though I suppose you got some "angle" issues depending on heights..

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/1027674-3-low-cost-led-light-review.html

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Like that Pent beamworks but this is likely significantly cheaper and would do nicely for a couple plants.

Mind you it's about half the Amazon cost on the worlds marketplace.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Never did ask what was the PAR on your light? Should be nice with that many .5 watt.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all: Thanks. What about the Finnex Planted Plus and the Current Satellite FreshWater. Good units?? Any preference between these two?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I can not stand light escaping between the top of the tank and the light source. I hate those stands!
Trying to watch fish with light glaring in my eyes. yuck

·
Registered
752 Posts
You do not have to use the legs with the Finnex. The Marineland I'm not sure you can remove the legs.

I will say out of the choices you posted Finnex is going to give you the best bang for the buck.

You also didn't list which Current USA or Marineland fixture. I can tell you right now that the current USA freshwater plus LED isn't even going to compare to the Finnex.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks: I believe the Current fixture I saw at the lfs was the Satellite FreshWater. Not a good choice??

·
Registered
146 Posts
You can rig up a glare guard very simply. Black plastic strips from home depot and few small hinges or duct tape even.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thanks: I believe the Current fixture I saw at the lfs was the Satellite FreshWater. Not a good choice??
It killed bacopa and a few other plants in my shrimp tank. When I switch to a current USA dual t5ho I had some of the plants that were dying came back but others were too far gone from lack of light to recover.

Also I I do not believe you can remove the legs from the current USA freshwater Plus but I never tried.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts