The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a low tech tank. It's my baby. I do nothing except top off water and change the filter like every 3 months and it does the rest. Everyone's happy, and it's taken a while to get here. I need to upgrade my T5 bulb and I could just go get a new one, but...

My current set up is an old 25 gallon Eclipse tank with one of those built in hoods. The lighting doesn't work, so I bought a ZooMed light hood to put on top of my tank when the back panel is open. I can't figure out pics, so you'll just have to visualize. It's unsightly, which is a shame, since plants and fish are healthy.

My husband suggested a switch to LED lights and at the same time, we could scrap the entire old hood (which would entail also getting a new filter as the old one is built in) and get a brand new "top" for my tank, which would basically be a hood with lighting that would accommodate most likely a HOB filter.

So, currently my single T5 10K bulb is 21 inches above substrate. Any recommendations on what kind of LED light source would be equal to that output? That's my main concern, I guess. Although, if anyone has suggestions for a nice hood that would work with LEDs (or comes with LEDs) that would be great. I've never been great at figuring out lighting and the last thing I want to do is slap some LEDs over this tank and cross my fingers. They could end up too bright, too dim.

I have anubias and red crypts, also some green broad leaved plant that grows decently but that I've forgot the name of... I'll see if I can find out what it is... Or figure out how to upload pics.

Thank in advance!:smile2:

Bump: Forgot to add, no ferts, no CO2

Bump: Gah! It's a T5 HO bulb

·
Registered
590 Posts
So, I have a low tech tank. It's my baby. I do nothing except top off water and change the filter like every 3 months and it does the rest. Everyone's happy, and it's taken a while to get here. I need to upgrade my T5 bulb and I could just go get a new one, but...

My current set up is an old 25 gallon Eclipse tank with one of those built in hoods. The lighting doesn't work, so I bought a ZooMed light hood to put on top of my tank when the back panel is open. I can't figure out pics, so you'll just have to visualize. It's unsightly, which is a shame, since plants and fish are healthy.

My husband suggested a switch to LED lights and at the same time, we could scrap the entire old hood (which would entail also getting a new filter as the old one is built in) and get a brand new "top" for my tank, which would basically be a hood with lighting that would accommodate most likely a HOB filter.

So, currently my single T5 10K bulb is 21 inches above substrate. Any recommendations on what kind of LED light source would be equal to that output? That's my main concern, I guess. Although, if anyone has suggestions for a nice hood that would work with LEDs (or comes with LEDs) that would be great. I've never been great at figuring out lighting and the last thing I want to do is slap some LEDs over this tank and cross my fingers. They could end up too bright, too dim.

I have anubias and red crypts, also some green broad leaved plant that grows decently but that I've forgot the name of... I'll see if I can find out what it is... Or figure out how to upload pics.

Thank in advance!:smile2:

Bump: Forgot to add, no ferts, no CO2

Bump: Gah! It's a T5 HO bulb
The Finnex Planted+ lights are pretty great. They even make one that does built-in automation (Planted+ 24/7).

A single T5HO is "high light" for your tank, most likely -- especially if it is close to the water. The thing that may have ended up "saving" you is that the bulb you are using is not very good for plant growth, a 10k bulb is more for a reef tank. But you don't have to worry about that any more if you go LED :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know, after I said it was HO I looked at my bulb and it actually doesn't say. I think it is....
Anywho, thanks for the info on the 10K bulb... so I need something more like 6700K? Of course,
you're saying it doesn't matter if I go LED. I'll check out Finnex and see what they have.

Here are pics of my tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
You know, after I said it was HO I looked at my bulb and it actually doesn't say. I think it is....
Anywho, thanks for the info on the 10K bulb... so I need something more like 6700K? Of course,
you're saying it doesn't matter if I go LED. I'll check out Finnex and see what they have.

Here are pics of my tank.
Allow me to clarify: there's nothing wrong with 10k bulbs, a lot of people prefer them because they look nice. They just aren't optimal if they are your only bulb. When I used T5HO lights, I used 10k too -- it was a nice, white light.

But, yeah, ~6500k is "daylight" and is considered more ideal for plants. But with the LED systems, they include red LEDs that mix in with the light that really help the plants grow. It's nice.

I've had a Planted+ on my 29g for a few years now, love it. The Planted+ 24/7 is pretty cool looking.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the bulb is 24 inches long. Tank dimensions are 24 inches across the front, and about 12 inches front to back.
I'd like to spend $50 or under if I can swing it, but be willing to go over for a decent lighting system. I looked
at the Finnex and like the idea, but I want to minimize evaporation, so an enclosed hood system would be great.
And I thought it was a T5HO, but not an not sure as it isn't on the bulb. But my low light plants are happy, so
I'm not sure. Maybe is NO. And I think it's 18 watt...It's an OceanSun. I was trying to get the bulb out from under the plastic slider,
but can't get it open. Ugh, sorry I'm not much help.

Bump: What I can see on the bulb doesn't show anything about wattage.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just two cents, but I went from T5's to LED (Planted +) and it is a difference of night and day (pardon the pun). I love the look of the light, and my plants have gone crazy. LED for all the tanks from now on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, that Finnex 24/7 is NICE!! Too pricey, but we could manage the planted plus.
So the Finnex and the Beamworks should be good at that depth for low light?

Bump:
Just two cents, but I went from T5's to LED (Planted +) and it is a difference of night and day (pardon the pun). I love the look of the light, and my plants have gone crazy. LED for all the tanks from now on.

That's great, but are you adding CO2? I don't necessarily want my plants to 'go crazy', but it's good to know LEDs are working well for you! I like my slow and steady growth. Less pruning for me :grin2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.