The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are quite a few posts here with beautiful photos of sweet potatoes growing in tanks. I've been trying but without much success. I used organic sweet potatoes and checked them carefully for soft spots. I found something online to hold them - it's made for the purpose by the people who make Potho Carry plant holders. About 1/4 to 1/3 of the potato was in the water.

The first one grew amazing roots - they are beautiful and the Aphanius mentos hung out in them. But there were no leaves or vines at all. After a few weeks, the potato suddenly rotted. Since then, I've tried twice more. One just rotted without even growing a root, let along a vine. The last one is there now, it isn't soft but the submerged part is covered in white stuff, I guess it will need to come out today.

What am I doing wrong? The tank is 30g, kept at 72F, pH = 8. A colony of shell dwellers live on the bottom and 1 Aphanius mento stays in the top half (4 more females just arrived by FedEx).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.