The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so it's a 38 gallon tank. i'm going to be swapping out the eco for some aquasoil. ada recommends waiting approximately a month before adding fish. i am going to save about 15 gallons of water from my old tank along with using the old bio media. i'm wondering how long before i should add fish in there. technically it will be as though a large water change. i'm worried now as i have read some people are getting ammonia spikes using the aquasoil. i guess the only thing i can really do is monitor the levels though i was curious as to whether anyone had any advice for me on this one. thank you.
:biggrin:
dp

-edit-

i will also be PILING in plants in order to absorb any ammonia should it show up. i'm using my tank now to grow out everything i can.

·
Registered
253 Posts
ADA AS is known for leaching out ammonia in the first 3-4 weeks of setting up a tank. I had cherry shrimp die after I put them in my tank at the 2 week period. The fish should be ok just as long as you do water changes every 1-2 days during the first 2 weeks. I would wait longer if you need to add shrimp, since they are sensitive to ammonia.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I a using 3L of AS my new ADA setup. I swapped over an aged filter, and I add a little Prime to make sure. Shrimp and cories are doing fine. I added them after 1 day.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You will get ammonia regardless for about a week or two but there was talk that at low ph levels the ammonia becomes less toxic. I didn't know to check and dropped my 3 puffers in the tank and they were not bothered by it.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unfortunately i won't be able to do that frequent of water changes. 1-2 days is super maintainence. when should i start dosing ferts and adding co2? i think the co2 should be immediately added, right?

·
Registered
786 Posts
when I upgraded my tank to a 60 gallon, I switched to Aquasoil and didn't have a choice but to put all my fish in after two days. I didn't have any problems or that big of an ammonia spike but I did use the old filter (uncleaned) for maximum biofiltering plus I added extra dechlor to neutralize the ammonia. Also, I did NOT follow the ADA directions of using the powersand under the AS, I just used a bunch of mulm from the old tank. From talking to the LFS where I got the AS, it seemed to me that much of the ammonia spike is due to the PS which jumps starts the nutrients in the substrate. No fish or shrimp losses, including the bajillion teensy BN pleco fry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts