The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im upgrading from plain black gravel to eco-complete in my 2.5 nano. i bought 6lbs off of a member here. i pushed a good amount of the original gravel to one side and removed maybe 1/3 of the total amount of gravel. then i dropped in a divider and put about 2" of eco in. im figuring i'll do it in 2 steps so it doesnt make such a HUGE bio impact. is this a good idea? how long should i let the bacteria establish in the eco before i remove the remaining black gravel?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
you got a lot more than 6lbs. ;) give it about a week or so.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just left u trader feedback btw! my cat got into the bag while i was working on the tank and made a HUGE freakin mess in the bathroom!

a week!?!? i gotta wait that long>? crap..

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
not sure about how long it takes. i would assume a week or so for the bacteria to colonize. i sent you a little over 15lbs. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
If you have a decent filter with seeded media, I'd just do it all in one fell swoop. I switched out all my aquarium gravel with Flourite in my 10 gallon all at once since I had lots of old filter media. I kept some mulm too.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can anyone confirm that the eco is pre treated for this? i um actually um changed the filter like 2 days ago.. oops.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
it's supposedly seeded with bacteria, but i wouldn't trust it alone. i have a hard time believing anything but bio-spira will make the tank 100% safe instantly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts