The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My presurized CO2 was hooked to a Reactor 1000. I swapped out the Reactor 1000 that was run in-line with a Fluval 404 for a Mezzei 3/4" Venturi hooked to a Rena Filstar XP3. The difference was immediately noticable. My PH which had returned to 7 by the end of the all-day project and tank cleaning dropped back down to 6.2 much faster than it ever did with the reactor. Later when my controller switched back on once again I noticed how short a time it was on before the PH dropped back down. I admit I don't think the ideal way to hook up the reactor is in-line, I believe it would have been better to have it in tank. Regardless, the Venturi wins the contest hands down as the better way to inject CO2 into [my] tank.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
How large are the hoses on the rena? I may try this as I'm having similar issues with my reactor. Just don't see a 5/8" option so I'd probably get the 3/4" model.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
What's the structural difference between the venturi and your reactor? I can't see a big difference between

and

...unless there's something else that the venturi employs?

Not trying to say you're wrong or anything, I just want to understand the venturi better, for DIY purposes. ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 3/4" venturi fit my Rena with a little encouragement (and spit).
I don't know why the venturi works better maybe the flow is superior because of the simpler design of the venturi. Also, If I dissconect the CO2 from the reactor water comes out. If I dissconect the CO2 from the venturi there's no water coming out because the Venturi is pulling in?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
The venturi works via a narrowing in the pipe which forces the water to flow faster (also puts back pressure on pump), creating a vacuum at the point where the CO2 is injected. The fast flowing water helps break up the CO2 bubbles. The From some pictures I've seen, it looks like the Mezzei venturi has some internal fins to aide in the breaking up of the CO2 bubbles.

I'm not able to get the CO2 where I want it in my tank with 2 AM 1000's, so I picked up a Kent Venturi for like $16. It definitely got my CO2 levels lower than the AM 1000, but also slowed down the outflow from my cannister, and gave me lots of CO2 Mist which is good for the plants, but I am not crazy about.
One other thing I noticed is that it makes a little "psst" sound on the CO2 bubbles (like a guy in an alley trying to get your attention to sell you a watch, or home theater equipment).

Rhinoman, have noticed any water back flowing into the CO2 line when the CO2 is off? Over night, water backs up into the line for an inch or two, but then stops. I have a brass clippard check valve on the CO2 line, and all I can think of is gas compression in the wider diameter hose to feed the CO2.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
They run $34 from ryanherco.com (584C). The 1/2" fits the eheim 5/8" tubing, so order the "C" model.

http://webcat.ryanherco.com/products/829/110/110/829110110.cfm

tazcrash69, grab a mazzei. They work completely different than the kent venturi's. Finer mist (barely visible) and less pressure loss.

I could see how the reactor might not work if it's hooked up incorrectly. It should be connected so that the Co2 flows to the top and so that the bubbles are completely absorbed. If the bubbles come out with too much flow then I guess it would be less efficient.

Could everyone start listing the canister filter and which model Mazzei they are using so I can create a graph for sizing the mazzei's?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Could everyone start listing the canister filter and which model Mazzei they are using so I can create a graph for sizing the mazzei's?
Couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you for the direction here. I need to do something about this water fall of a reactor soon. I'd like to try this method.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am currently using the venturi inlet on the output control of my Filstar to do CO2 injection, while I build my Rex Reactor (having some problems with leakage).

Its performance improved when I added an extra length of tube between it and the spray bar part...but that may have just been me winning the fight by turning my Emperors off and on lately.

Anyway...what is the difference between that venturi and this one perfomance-wise, do you think?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I can't see why we can't make this MAZZEI injectors ourselves? from what it looks on the outside it's just two tubes with narrowed ends ,and the third co2 tube could be replaced with a Clippard check valve.
If the inside is made of fins,then even that could be done.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Early trials and posts,
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/21735-diy-line-micro-bubbler-6.html?highlight=Mazzei

epicfish: The mazzei's come with two MNPT's on either end (male threaded adapter). You then look up a fitting with a female thread and a insert adapter (threaded adapter) to attach the fluval hose to. PM me what you are planning to order and I can double check it. Send filter model, injector model, eheim hose size equivalents, and ryan herco fitting numbers. You can look at the post above for examples. Maybe some people are connecting the thread fitting directly to the hose? Then I could see using a 3/4" model for a 5/8" eheim tub?

Asty: the kent marine injectors? the machining on them is sloppy. The holes in the injector are too big and they just break up the bubbles.

distrbd: The machining is very precise to get the venturi action to work.

Rhinoman: which model Mazzei are you using. They have 584, etc..

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My 3/4" Mazzei has barbed ends. I just spit on the venturi and shoved it in the XP3 tubing. I also made my own intake fo the XP3 as the intake that it came with stuck out against my black backround like a sore thumb! It came out so good I'm going to make another for my Fluval FX5 (can't stand the light grey tubing end).

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Er? Greg says it's an MPT, and Rhinoman says it's barbed...which is it? ;)

Ryan Herco doesn't like to pick up their phones on Saturdays. =P

The tubing on my Fluval is 14mm, or 5/8"...and the Mazzeis only come in 1/2", 3/4", or 1".

If they come in threaded, then I can get a 1/2" FNPT x 5/8" barbed fitting somewhere, but if it's barbed, I'm not sure how I can adapt it to 5/8" tubing nicely without doing this: Mazzei -> 1/2" barb -> 1/2" tubing -> 1/2"-to-5/8" adapter -> 5/8" tubing. Can I go straight from the 1/2" barb to the 1/2"-to-5/8" adapter? Doubt it since I dont think it'll give it a good seal that way.

If it's 1/2" barbed, I can get an 1/2" FNPT x 5/8" hose adapter here: http://www.thogus.com/adapters.htm (bottom right)...Ryan Herco is a distributor of Thogus, so hopefully they can order in an adapter for me.

My Fluval 404 has a flow rate of 317gph, and this is for a 40 gallon breeder tank, 36" long, so I hope it'll be enough flow to run in-line without an accessory pump.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.