The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gallon (30x12x12) in brown trim that I would like to swap for a 20 gallon (30x12x12) in black trim. The tank is in great condition, no scratches, leaks, or cracks and I'm looking to swap another 20 gallon, also in great condition.

Local swap in the Chicago area.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a 20 gallon (30x12x12) in brown trim that I would like to swap for a 20 gallon (30x12x12) in black trim. The tank is in great condition, no scratches, leaks, or cracks and I'm looking to swap another 20 gallon, also in great condition.

Local swap in the Chicago area.

Why don't you just paint the trim?

·
Banned
582 Posts
Yup. You just need a sponge brush, Rustoleum paint, and masking tape. I did this to my 20 gallon long, and you can't even tell it was painted.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may give a corner a try. I just don't want the paint to scrape off or to get that scratched appearance when something scrapes across of it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can always try contact paper as well. I used to black out the trim and back (sometimes sides too) with black contact paper. Available at Target or wherever fine merchandise is sold.

As long as it goes onto a clean, dry surface, it stays waterproof indefinitely. I had it on my 30g reef for over 10 years with no issues, even where salt creep reared its ugly head.

The best part is it comes off clean (or relatively so) if you mess it up or want to change the color.

Just be patient with it and have a soft burnishing tool handy.

Total cost - Less than $5.00 and no taping, fumes, etc.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I think you can also buy new trim at AGA's website... not too sure if they sell it still though, I saw it a while ago...

Would a LFS swap out tanks with you?

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't want 2 spend allot of money on it and I'm sure I would have to if I had to replace it. Not to mention the work I would have to do. There are a few local people selling tanks so I'll see if any of them would not mind a swap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts