The Planted Tank Forum banner

Surviving fish in QT tank

1458 14
Bought some cories and CPD from the petstore this weekend. Long story short, 5 of the 6 CPDs have died (clamped fins, weakening, white dust/fuzz on back and sides, then dead the next day) and the survivor does not look well. Leaning towards columnaris. :help:

The cories, weirdly, seem to be fine and exhibit no symptoms. All the fish were put in a QT tank with plants and substrate.

I put the lone CPD in a bucket with salt and he seems to be doing a bit better, though suspect he will not pull through. Fingers crossed!

What do I do with the QT tank and the cories? My intention is to eventually get them in my main tank, but absolutely don't want columnaris outbreak.

Remove cories from QT into bucket, empty and bleach QT tank before adding cories back? Treat entire tank with salt/medication with cories inside before waiting out a month or so? Some other option?

I've heard that catfish-types are very sensitive to medication and salts--should I add nothing at all and hope for the best since they seem to be resistant?

If the CPD pulls through, do I add him back to the QT tank? Keep him in the bucket as a QT for the QT?

This is not a low-stress hobby LOL.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You'll have to rinse the heck out of it after you bleach it. Rinse until you can't smell even the slightest hint of bleach. Then rinse one more time. You'll want to bleach after treatment, no sense in treating the tank after.
So plop them back in, and then treat. If you lose all the fish, then bleach the tank and start again. unless your talking Quarantine tank then bleach after every treatment/use.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You'll have to rinse the heck out of it after you bleach it. Rinse until you can't smell even the slightest hint of bleach. Then rinse one more time. You'll want to bleach after treatment, no sense in treating the tank after.
So plop them back in, and then treat. If you lose all the fish, then bleach the tank and start again. unless your talking Quarantine tank then bleach after every treatment/use.

Also don't just rinse and rinse. Use a dechlorinated product, such as seachem prime. It removes chlorine which is what bleach is.(for the most part)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Also don't just rinse and rinse. Use a dechlorinated product, such as seachem prime. It removes chlorine which is what bleach is.(for the most part)
+1. Every time I disinfect, I always follow it up with Prime.

For Columnaris, KanaPlex works very well, you can find it on Amazon/eBay for about ~$8. If you go this route, treat in a QT as KanaPlex will kill your BB colony. When I had a FNTD outbreak, I treated my entire 55g with KanaPlex and the 5 Cories didn't show any changes in behavior during the 6 day treatment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New fish have been in the QT tank or tupperware for salt baths since leaving the pet shop, and separate water buckets/nets used so hopefully no contamination of the main tank. Last CPD did not make it :icon_cry:, but cories still going strong.

If they are still asymptomatic, should I still dose QT tank with antibiotics? I will try to bring dead CPD to lab and see if it is indeed columnaris or some weird fungal thing.

Assuming no other signs of sickness, is a month long enough to be sure that the cories are healthy?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Not knowing what the CPDs had could put your entire main tank at risk if you add the corys too early. That said, most corys are pretty hardy fish and CPDs are very sensitive fish that die easily. I breed and raise them which is easy to do but refuse to ship them because I found them to be difficult to ship, so I only sell them locally to fish stores or at our club auction. I have taken healthy CPDs to the auctions before only to get there and find all of the fish in one bag dead while others in other bags under the exact same conditions did just fine. When one dies, the rest seem to panic and follow suit. I would leave the corys in the QT tank for 2 months without treatment and if they still show no signs of illness I would add them to the main tank. Treating for something without knowing what it is could hurt more that it helps. But if you have access to a facility that could tell you what the last CPD died from would be really helpful. You could always add an Indian almond leaf or some alder cones to the tank. Both have anti bacterial properties and will not hurt the fish. If you do feel the need to treat the tank, Melafix (bacterial) and Pimafix (fungal) are ok with corys and not as strong as many other meds. I always use Prazipro in QT for internal parasites but nothing else unless I see signs of disease.

·
Registered
11,717 Posts
After whatever medication you choose has been cleared from the tank, THEN start the clock. Cories have to be healthy on their own (no meds, no other treatment) for at least a month before adding them to the main tank.

UV sterilizer can be used on the Q-tank with salt, but not with other medications.
Turn off the UV sterilizer when you add other meds, and the UV cannot run (it counts as treatment) while you are watching the Cories for their month of 'no meds'.

·
Registered
180 Posts
When my tank was hit with columnaris, my cories were the only fish that didn't get it. Not sure why that was, but most of the other fish did not survive treatment. I agree with waiting and leaving them in the QT without treatment for a month unless they start to show signs of illness.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Semi-update: Whatever it is, definitely bacterial. Coworker (mycologist) saw a few fungal spores floating around in water but not much past background. Lots of bacterial matter on and inside fish (including cottony white patch on fish foreheads that is super apparent under microscope). Am not invested enough to send fishy samples out to bacteriologist to find out which bacteria, but it is nice to rule out some things.

Doing daily 50% water changes since Sat (so much fun...), dropped temp to low 70s, have added a tablespoon of salt per five gallons to the tank and will increase to 2 tablespoons tomorrow. Will see what happens!

I found this to be very helpful (in German, but google translate works really well):
http://www.aquamax.de/index.php/krankheitsbild-diagnose.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.