The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well it all started last week, noticed one tiny snail in tank, ocd kicked in and I scoured the tank all night for any other invaders, but not one....then yesterday and today I find 2 more, and then 2 more of these small clearish pink snails. It's a heavily planted, 36 gallon, dirted, pressurized co2, with angels, dwarf neon, rainbow tetras, Cory's, a bn, some shrimp, and 2 tiger NERITES. So that's what boggles my mind. I've hear that nerite snails will only lay in brackish water or something to that effect. I'm guessing these small pink clear snails I'm recently finding are pest pond snails.
So my question is this, being my first real attempt at a nice planted tank, how bad will these be if I let them go. Anytime I find them their on plants when I pick them pit but I see no leaf damage in the tank other then usual wear and tear thus far. Will the eventually breed to numbers that will damage plants? I'm not even sure if their ramshorns or pond snails. I have a clown loach in another tank. Maybe 4 inches. Great fish, love the guy....should I sic him loose in the 36 gallon to solve the problem? Always just felt nervous about clown loaches in there because of the dirt... But can't be any worse then Cory's I guess? Here's a pic of one of snails... Any insight would be helpful, thanks as always.

Looking at the pics after I uploaded them, sorry my cam sucks lol, but I swear they were/are almost pink and transparent.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I probably have hundreds of them by now...
I would just deal with it. It is pretty much impossible to rid a tank of snails once you get them, short of draining the tank and leaving it in the sun.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if their ramshorn, I've seen they are sometimes desirable? I've also seen the damage pond snails can do. Will they eat live plants or just munch on the decay from what you've seen? Should I attempt to control the population at any point or just let em rum wild and free? Even though a few loaches probably wouldn't do much I'm guessing. Thanks again.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Snails will only breed to the level of excess food so control them by feeding less and dropping food in at the rate your fish will eat it. Less wasted food and less snails.

Get a Dojo loach to help control the snails or an assassin snail to really knock down the numbers. Weighting a wilted leaf on a small plate left overnight will collect lots of them so you can remove them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ramshorn and MTS don't seem to bother my plants and we all live in harmony. I try to squish the pond snails and let the fish eat them. And, Keymastr is correct about the feeding. I learned that the hard way.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Snails seem to wax and wane for me. They ate almost all the algae I had except the BBA, which was nice. The pond snails might harass the plants a little, it's hard to say, but the plants grow decently fast anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.