The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 200litre planted tank I have bottled Co2 running during the day and turned off at night. Im dropping the spraybar down during the day so nil surface movement and raising it above the surface during the night after noticing fish hanging around surface in the evenings (no gasping at the surface though) Co2 indicator shows correct levels so im not over doing the Co2. I can recall yrs ago I used to leave Co2 on day and night with Tetra species with no obvious problems:icon_redf but Barbs seem to hang more to the surface once the MH lights are turned off? Or is this normal for Barbs?? Just worried there not 100% happy??

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a 1600 gph circulation pump moving the surface all day 24x7.

I am using an inline diffuser which is pushing a micro-foam of CO2 bubbles throughout the tank.

Let me know if you want to see pictures.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Id love to see pics! So im wrong then to have very little to no surface movement during the day? I was always under the impression that it achieved the best plant Co2 absorbtion?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
surface agitation is good,, it does waste some co2, it adds oxygen

plants need it at night, fish need it all the time and so do the bacteria that silent filter the tank. the bacteria use more oxygen than anything else.. low oxygen levels are usually the main result of carbon dioxide poisoning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts