The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone used a surface skimmer to increase dissolved oxygen in a tank? If yes, please share your experiences.

My tank size is listed in my sig.

thank you

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had a surface skimmer hooked up to my protein skimmer when I was doing saltwater setups. The surface only breaks as it enters the surface skimmer so I dont really think it will help too much with surface agitation. Lol. How many times can I say surface in one sentence. If you want to increase surface agitation to oxygenate, I would recommend an air pump on a timer to come on at night when lights go off. The bubbles from that would cause some surface agitation.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I agree that Surface Skimmers shouldn't increase oxygenation much, BUT, with my XP3 filter, air does buildup and get expelled regularly since using the surface skimmer. I'd bet, but can't prove, that the regular expelling of air bubbles helps.

More reliable alternatives are to have your outflow agitate surface a little, though this will outgas CO2, or as jarthel said, put a pump and airstone on timer to run at night. That's what I do...a SMALL pump running an airstone when the lights go out.

Here's the bigger question. I do it because it seems to make sense and has no downside. I have no indication that I NEED more O2 in the water column. Why do you think you do and with what urgency?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.