The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have major surface scum and wanted to get rid of it using a surface skimmer... I did a search and found that the Tom Aquatics Skimmer seems to be a popular/cheap choice...

http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCa...mer?&query=skimmer&queryType=0&hits=12&offset=

Will this work on my 75 Gal? I have an Eheim 2217 filter with a DIY reactor attached to it so the flow rate is already slowed a bit...

If I do get the TA surface skimmer, Will I be able to attach it to the 2217 with out any problems to the flow? Will I have to modify it to fit the 2217?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have one on my 55 and it works great! I use it with my 2236 which is 1/2 tubing. The intake on the 2217 is 5/8 so you would need to get a reducer or modify it somehow.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I use one on my 75 and I'm really happy with it. It will clean the scum off the surface in a matter of minutes.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I have major surface scum and wanted to get rid of it using a surface skimmer... I did a search and found that the Tom Aquatics Skimmer seems to be a popular/cheap choice...

http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCa...mer?&query=skimmer&queryType=0&hits=12&offset=

Will this work on my 75 Gal? I have an Eheim 2217 filter with a DIY reactor attached to it so the flow rate is already slowed a bit...

If I do get the TA surface skimmer, Will I be able to attach it to the 2217 with out any problems to the flow? Will I have to modify it to fit the 2217?

Thanks

That product is cheaper and excellent. I got the same thing from Fosters and Smith. Works very good.

I always got crystal clear water.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use one on my 75 and I'm really happy with it. It will clean the scum off the surface in a matter of minutes.
jeff, what size tubing is it plumbed into?

how would I plumb it to my 2217 intake? do I need to cut the hard plastic tube or the hose? use a T fitting?

thanks

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
The fluval tubing is 5/8". From looking at the picture of the skimmer on another website, it looks like it may come with a couple of different sized adapters. Maybe someone with a 2217 will chime in though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
+1 for that tom aquatic's one. I have one plumbed into eheim installation kit's intake and it fits perfectly. The skimmer needs a little adjustment from time to time, but it keeps the surface crystal clear.
I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Any one have some pointeres on how to do this?>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts