The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've avoided getting one of these for my eheim because it would take up more room in the tank than the standard intake...and I figure that it would draw in air (as well as the surface scum) into the filter causing additional noise.

For any of you who use the surface skimmer, is it noiser than a standard intake...and does it create more noise due to the air being sucked into the filter?

Here's a link to the skimmer in case you need a pic reference.
Aquarium Surface Skimmer

Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
I love mine, its quite and it actually doesn't take up much space at all. It also doesn't have to be skimming all the time. If the water has scum on it, just set it to skim, and it only take about 10 mins for my 90gal to be clean. When the waters clean, i just use it as a normal intake. if you worried about air, just use it when your lights are off.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I've been using one of those for a couple years now...no additional noise from the skimming. It works great...and will work better if you break off about 3 or 4 of the "teeth". This will allow for less capillary action and the skimming is more efficient IME.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I've had mine for a few years.
When I had it on my 2026, The suction would be too strong (see GD's solution, or carefully file the space between the teeth larger).
I put it on a 2213, and it works like a champ.

No noise, unless I let floating leaves build up on the strainer, no air pulled in if set properly.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, I will be using it on the 2026. Thanks, I guess I am sold...it never ends. :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
The Eheim S.Skimmer is really nice, but requires a bypass if used on a filter over 200GPH. And the by pass makes it a hassle to prime. Works great with a small dedicated Ecco or the like (its for 12/16mm hose) and Eheim suggest only using it for 5-10 minutes at night to clear of any scum. BigAl sells the plumbing accessories required if you have a bigger filter.

Mine is in perpetual retirement at the moment, since auto water changes clear the surface every night. But I may put it on a 25 gallon with a small Ecco which is perfect for it, if need arises.

BTW, no slurping of noise at all. I like it better than the Hagen $10.00 units.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts