The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I have it? A lot? Little? None? I am gettin rdy 2 switch over 2 the Eheim 2234 canister filter w/ a co2 reactor on the outlet hose & its gonna be attached 2 a spray bar. Should I angle the spray bar up 2 have surface movement or down 4 none? If it points up won't the co2 still "gasout"

·
Registered
166 Posts
Surface agitation is good as it keeps a surface scum layer from forming. I supplement canisters with an aquaclear hob, prefer not to use a spraybar that spreads out/reduces flow.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Surface Movement

Hello steve...

A healthy tank needs water movement at the surface, so oxygen can be mixed with the water and to allow carbon dioxide to escape. This process is called "gas exchange".

To get to a healthy level of gas exhange, your tank needs a filter with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of a minimum of 6 times the volume of the tank in gallons. So, if you have a 30 gallon tank, your filter needs a gph rating of 180.

The movement of water through the filtration equipment will sufficiently aerate the tank. Nothing else is needed.

B

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I was thinking about takin a Marineland powerhead I have layin around & using that 2 move the surface around & have my spray bar pointed down so the co2 enriched water goes n2 the tank & not up @ the surface...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Should I have it? A lot? Little? None? I am gettin rdy 2 switch over 2 the Eheim 2234 canister filter w/ a co2 reactor on the outlet hose & its gonna be attached 2 a spray bar. Should I angle the spray bar up 2 have surface movement or down 4 none? If it points up won't the co2 still "gasout"
I'm going to try to restrain myself from writing long explanations. First, if you're eventually going with injected CO2, then I can't help you because I don't know anything about injected CO2. You'll have to refer to other replies. If you're not using injected CO2 and are a Planted Tank, I would try to minimize the surface agitation but not water movement around the tank. This is to preserve as much of the CO2 that is made in the tank all the time as is possible for your setup. In a Planted Tank, CO2 is a precious commodity and when it runs out, photosynthesis goes along at a crawl, at best.

I would, in this case, mount the spray bar enough under the water surface so there is no spray and point it slightly downward. All of this is IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I'm going to try to restrain myself from writing long explanations. First, if you're eventually going with injected CO2, then I can't help you because I don't know anything about injected CO2. You'll have to refer to other replies. If you're not using injected CO2 and are a Planted Tank, I would try to minimize the surface agitation but not water movement around the tank. This is to preserve as much of the CO2 that is made in the tank all the time as is possible for your setup. In a Planted Tank, CO2 is a precious commodity and when it runs out, photosynthesis goes along at a crawl, at best.

I would, in this case, mount the spray bar enough under the water surface so there is no spray and point it slightly downward. All of this is IMO.
I'm sorry, but I think this is pretty incorrect. First, you need surface agitation in order to bring in oxygen. During the day the plants can contribute some oxygen, but at night when there is no photosynthesis occurring, you are risking an oxygen deprived environment. Second, how do you think the co2 got into the water in the first place? This precious commodity came from atmospheric co2 which was acquired from gas exchange at the surface. The co2 in a non injected tank can only get as great as the atmospheric co2 levels, but without any gas exchange at the surface the levels of co2 in the water can certainly be reduced to nothing.

All this to say that the OP was originally speaking on using pressurized co2 which makes this convo kind of useless, but it can help someone. Even when you are using pressurized co2 it is still a good idea to see a ripple across the tank surface in order to provide adequate oxygen for your fish while you are pumping their environment full of co2. Yes it off gases some co2, but co2 is dirt cheap and it keeps a significantly healthier environment for you tank and its inhabitants.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.