The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank has lots of surface film and I would like to use a surface extractor. I already have the Hagen one but its big, clunky and lame looking. Is there another surface extractor out there, or any good DIY builds?

thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have yet to find a good one. I bought the Eheim surface skimmer and its just ok. It skims the surface very well but its also very touchy and if you dont set it exactly right it will start sucking in air, which then builds up in the canister and starts spitting it out all the time.

The best surface skimming Ive had was when I had a sump and overflow box.

·
Registered
993 Posts
What filtration are you using? Can you / have you tried pointing the output flow to the surface to get enough surface movement?

On my 120-P (48"x18" footprint), I currently have the output of my XP3 connected to ADA outflow lily pipe close enough to the surface to continuously generate a small vortex. It's barely not enough to get rid of all surface film at the moment, but with my old HOB filter helping out now, the surface film is gone.
When my Hydor Koralia 240 comes in, it'll replace the HOB.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I've used the Tom Aquatics for 3 years. You have to keep the lower input clear or it will start drawing more from the surface. It works fine by me. May not suit some people that have an aversion to seeing stuff in the tank.

Draw back is it WILL eat small fish and shrimp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.