The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello awesome community, I’m looking to pick your brain.

I’ve had a Successful HighTech tank with Neos, and I want to set one to house some Royal Blue tigers.

The part I’m struggling with is how to maintain a lower PH while avoiding Ph swings due to injected CO2.

I’ve researched that Kh is good factor to keep PH stable, however, Kh from SaltyShrimp sets the Ph at around 7.6~7.8 (with 0 TDS water)

If I were to use BeeShrimp, I’d get the Gh but no Kh, and not sure if the CO2 would cause a huge swing since there is no Kh to balance it.

I’m looking for ways to lower the Ph to 6.9~7.0 but have a Kh around 2.

I could use a shrimp substrate, but from what I read, the Kh would burn through the buffering capacity, so I’d be in trouble once the buffer is gone.
So I’m looking for something more long term.

I’ve found 2 options so far:
* Peat Moss in the filter
  • upside: natural
  • downside: coloring of water and trial and error to get the right Ph which could also fluctuate a little as its buffer depletes.
* ADA Nature Aquarium: Soft Water
  • upside: easy to match Ph and no coloring
  • downside: artificial

What are your thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you all for the supportive and constructive knowledge!!!

You guys are amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
A lot of bee shrimp keepers are using RO water. This also allows you to use topoffs instead of water changes which from my reading is preferred for a lot of shrimps. You should also just not run your co2 very high. Instead of aiming for 30ppm you should aim for like 10ppm. Will still help your plants (if not turn your tank into a soda bottle) but won't get so high that there will be a dramatic ph shift. So I'd seriously consider investing in an RO/DI system.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Tigers you say? Theoretically speaking, it should be easy!

Either set up a tank for Neos (inert substrate, RO water, GH/KH minerals)

Or set up a tank for Caridinas (active substrate, RO water, GH minerals)

Don't worry about pH or KH. Many tigers can handle EITHER setup.

My experience only comes from Yellow King Kongs though... first group I had were raised in Caridina parameters. I did "same" parameters, except for Neos. By 3 months they were breeding! And then the group was basically killed off... (neighbors and/or roommate)

Second group I started off the same as the first and had a little breeding. Swapped over to Caridina parameters (swapped substrate and water, put tank back together) and still not much breeding. I didn't start getting much breeding until I had this colony for about a year or so.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input Zoidburg, minorhero

Yeah, have you had CO2 injected with your caridinas?

I guess that is my main concern, that without 1 or 2 KH, the CO2 would cause a big swing even if I’m not pumping it like crazy as it acts as an active element more than a passive exchange of gasses.

Looking forward to learn about your experiences before I get the little guys stressed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I don't use CO2.

With active substrate and 0 KH, it's the substrate that keeps the pH stable with the use of tannins (humic, fulvic, etc). It releases them from the substrate, hence having lower pH.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.