The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, I am wondering what i need to supplement. I plan on doing 50% weekly water changes. I have a 65w 10k PC. Will this spectrum be alrite? I was also looking to use the flourish line of supplements. I only want to buy what is necessary. I am hoping to havea carpet of something up front with some taller plants behind. Any suggestions on plants or what products to use?? thank you

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hello,

As far as supplements I dose Potassium Nitrate or KNO3, Monopotassium Phosphate or KH2PO4, seachem excel, Seachem Equilibrium, and some extra traces through TMG. You can use seachem if you like to cover the supplements but you can also order the dry ferts from www.gregwatson.com. I think they are each like $5 a pound and in a low tech tank your size that will last you like 4 years lol. Much much cheaper.

I would suggest dosing seachem excel with the amount of light above your tank if not pressurized co2. Also, if you choose not to use excel and go completely low tech I would go without the water changes. A really good guide can be found on www.barrreport.com and look up non co2 methods. He tells you what to dose and how much to dose.

Spectrum of light looks fine.

As far as a lowtech carpet plant I am still searching for one. I've been trying to use Dwarf sags but they grow tall sometimes and short others so it is a little frustrating. For tall back plants I have some ludigia repens, rotala rotundafolia, and green Hygro all of which I love. A great site for choosing plants is www.plantgeek.net. They have a neat plant guide that is priceless!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts