The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm playing around with the idea of carefully managed guppy breeding to supplement the diet of a community tank with guppy fry. I'd like some input on whether this could work.

The tank is a 38 gallon planted tank that I intend to stock with sparkling gouramis (aka pygmy gouramis), spotted blue-eye rainbowfish, scarlet badis, celestial pearl danios (aka galaxy rasboras), and cherry red shrimp. If I follow through with the plan above, I would also keep 3 female guppies in this tank.

The plan would involve setting up a 6.6 gallon lightly planted tank to house 3 male guppies. Every so often I would temporarily introduce one of the males to the 38 gallon with the females and remove him after the females are impregnated. Thus creating a controlled supply of guppy fry.

Would the planned 38 gallon occupants devour the guppy fry, or am I risking a guppy "epidemic?"

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Dario dario would definitely eat them if they're large enough as would the gouramies. The CPD might snag one or two here or there but I doubt they'd actively hunt them like the former 2. You're taking a big risk in a tank that size though - the fish you're keeping are so small that within a few days the fry might be too large for consumption.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I have 7 platies (5 females) in a 55 with cardinals, narrow-wedge rasboras, and buffalohead cichlids. So far, only one fry has survived.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Buffalohead cichlids eat algae.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I think the badis would eat them, not entirely sure on the Rainbows. I am pretty sure that the CPD's wouldn't eat them, and i don't know about the Gourami's. if you make sure theres not a ton of hiding places for them i think you could get away with it, and if any survive you can always sell them or keep them in the tank with the males.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I don't think you'll have much of a problem. keeping them in check. If you do, you can always get a fish like a single apisto. Apistos are specialized fry-hunters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.