The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Finnex 24/7 on a 55 gallon long (18" off substrate), pressurized co2, and a moderate plant load. I am about 40 days in to that setup (water has been going for three months) and am overwhelmed w brown algae an sheets of plant murdering blue green algae. The substrate is flourite. Filtration is a penguin 350 tank top. I'm doing ei dosing and weekly 50 % water changes.

Here is my question: my goal here was to carpet the bottom with dwarf hair grass, however the last 40 days have not caused much if any growth in the hair grass. I'm afraid the 24/7 isn't enough. I recently took it off of 24/7 and put it on max for 8 hours a day w 6 hours of co2.

Do I need to supplement my lighting? If so should I add a light or sell and replace? Any ideas on a good light to add to compliment the 24:7 mode?

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
I cant figure out lighting to save my life. I have a finnex planted+ 13" from the substrate and all my plants grow well (dhg included, a large carpet) and only a small amount of bba that will seemingly never truly go away.

I've had my tank up for a year now I guess. I had the same exact thing happen at about a month in, bga just growing up everywhere and faster than i could remove it. I ignored the brown algae as everyone said it would go away on its own, which it did. I battled the bga for 2 months, changing everything I could think of. I changed the height and time of my lighting, rate of c02, amount of feedings ect. the only thing I did not change nor did i consider as I felt it was a static thing was my EI dosing. After nearly doubling my Kno3 the bga stopped coming back. I pulled out what i could by hand and h202'd the rest. I slowly backed off on the Kno3 dosing and settled in at roughly %25 more Kno3 than the EI dosing I had been following via Tom Barr. Have not seen BGA sense.

So in short, I cant answer your question but that's what did it for me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.