The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, my aquarium light just came on and I was doing my daily fish count and I noticed one of my platies was missing--turns out he was hiding behind my driftwood on the floor of my aquarium.

Eventually he started to swim around and looked like he was struggling a little bit. Then I noticed he looked quite sick! He was always a bit smaller, but now he looks awful!

He is very thin, my other two platies (both males) have a bit of a belly on them and this guy seems to have nothing. His head is an awkward size and shape now in comparison. You can see in the pictures the comparison between my sunburst and this guy. I've had them for a month or two now. Maybe even longer.

He's looking a little more yellow than he did before, and he seems a little curved but I could be making that up. I'm afraid it might be TB..
He did try eating a bit. He stands no chance against the current of my filter, but I feel like he could before, at least a little.

I cannot check my parameters on my tank--I just got home from school for break and I left my test kit there by accident. I also do not have a QT set up, nor the room for one.

Over the course of the past month and a half I've lost two neons as well. I just assumed it was their time but now I'm wondering if they were sick too.

I feed them once daily or every other day, and I change the water weekly (although I did miss a change or two during that time because of so much schoolwork).

10g, 78 degrees.

All help appreciated! Thanks so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
hmm.. i remember reading fancy platy fish prefer slightly cooler tropical temps.. but i keep mine at 78(heater min) to 82~ the sun warms the tank during the day.. they all seem happy. can you turn down the filter flow or baffle it with foam? maybe try and sneak in a shrimp pellet by where he hides.

water should be slightly hard as with most livebearers?

youve moved the tank/fish recently? very stressful on fish.

how long have you had the fish and are there any more in the tank or was it 2 neons and 3 platy fish?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I just moved but I don't think that would explain how skinny he is.

I had six neons and three platies. Water is semi hard. I added some aquarium salt when I did a PWC Wednesday

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.