The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have always liked Ember Tetras.
When I finally found them in LFS few months ago, I knew I had to get some.
Now my heavily planted 5.5g houses 6 Embers with 2 Ottos, 3 Amano shirmps, and ~10 Cherries.
They get alone with each other pretty well and everyone looks healthy.
It's just...my Embers are so shy!
They hide in the plants all the time, and so often they don't even want to come out to eat...
I have noticed that they seem to come out to the open area in the tank more often when the light is off tho.
( I have a 27w Home Depot lamp)

I would like to hear from your experience about Embers.
Are they always so shy in your tanks?
Is there any way to make them more "out-going"?
I am ok with the way they are in my tank actually.
Maybe it's just how they naturally are anyways, but it would be nice being able to see my fish all the time...or most of time...you know...
:(

Edit--adding tank shot. no scape or anything. nothing to compare those stunning tanks in this forum. :(

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hello!

I have 5 ember tetras in a 10g and 7 in a 20g (the numbers will even out once I manage to catch one of the fast buggers ;) ). They were shy for about a week or two; now they are the most active fish in the tanks. I think it helps that both are heavily planted so they feel safe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Requiem!

My Embers have been in this tank since August.
Even with the massive plants I have in there, they are still shy.
Am I missing something?
Do you think adding two more Embers would help?
Thanks for sharing!
And yeah, they are some fast little buggers.
:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that sometimes you need some "dither" fish to get the shy ones out. If the embers see other fish out and about they might not be so shy.
Thanks for the tip!
That does make sense.
I have also noticed that when it's feeding time, if Amano shrimps go grab foods first, Embers would then come out to join the feast.
So yeah, some "dither" fish might help.
Now my question is what kind of fish I can have as the dithers and how many do I need?
My tank is small and I am trying not to overload it...
:fish1:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi hsamao,

I also have embers and they are not shy at all! They come near my hand when I have to reach into the tank and all come to the surface when iget close hoping for some food.

There are two differences that might be involved - i have a bigger tank and I have 18 Embers. I think they feel safer in a larger school. Instead of getting a different species for your tank you might consider a couple more Embers.

Bill

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I would not suggest adding any more fish to your tank though, dither or not. Remember 5.5gl is the empty tank volume.
I have kept embers before, and noticed that they were shy in smaller tanks, and just hid in the back corner behind all the microsoreum. I eventually moved them to a 10, and then eventually a 20gl. With the increased space, they got braver and braver. Also, how is your lighting? If the tank is too bright, it can make them feel uneasy, as opposed to subdued lighting. Maybe add some frogbit or something to help diffuse the light.

Embers are one of my favourite fish, and my next tank is going to be Ember and RCS only tank (currently waiting for my ADA AS to arrive for set-up), and this is a 12gl tank.

But as far as adding more livestock to the tank, I would opt against it. I know, shrimp don't attribute much to the bio-load, but ottos, and the six embers are probs enough (this only applies to bio-load). In regards to open swimming space and not overcrowding the embers, I would try alternative methods.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I agree, I think you're maxed on bioload for this tank.

If they were in a 10gal, you could try mixing in some dwarf rasboras as dither fish. Mine are always up at the front of the tank begging for food. :icon_roll

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was also concerned about bio-load too.
That's why I haven't added any other fish in there since I got the six Embers in August.
I don't have space and money for a bigger tank so I guess I would have to settle with it for now.
As long as they stay healthy then it's all good to me.
And thank you all for the advise of course.
:)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Try a search on craigslist for a used aquarium, or you're local fish club. You can usually get a 10gl or so for $10. You'll notice that your water params will stay more stable too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.