The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone my have experienced my dilemma... my DIY CO2 system backed up into my tank, I think I caught it fairly quickly but I cant be sure. I have changed 50% of the water, every day for about three days and its clear my filter is not going to help clean up this mess.
I cleaned the filter really well and got the fish into some fresh water, but I really want to know if I need to start fresh with new plants or anyone has experience saving plants in this situation. I am concerned I dont get them cleaned off well enough and reintroduce the live yeast into a newly cleaned system.

..... Should i just start over or can i save my yeast covered plants? Help please, Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had this happen to me the first time I tried a planted tank a couple of years ago. The water was milky-off-white and water changes didn't seem to help. I tore down the tank and hand-washed all of the plants. The only things that bounced back were a couple of strands of jungle val, a couple java ferns and a patch of java moss. Everything else perished.:(

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I had this happen to me a few months ago before adding any living things except plants. It was a mess, but the tank cleared up after switching out my filter (placing my established one in a bucket of good water with an air stone) it cleared up after about 24 hours. Nothing lost.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, at his point I do not want to risk recontaminating my filter pump. I may just try and hand wash a few of them and hope for the best. Thanks again for the input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.