·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Up for grabs
  • ~20% Salvania
  • ~75% Duckweed
  • ~5% Dwarf Watter Lettuce

You have to get all of them. It's mixed and I'm not picking it apart.

How this RAOK Works
A valid submission consist of the following items:
  1. A picture of your tank
  2. Tank size and a little summary
  3. Your favorite of the three floaters

I will select 3 winners:
  1. Based on post numbers. If you make a valid entry post, your post number will be entered.
  2. "You really need floaters!" winner. I'll choose someone who really needs them and send it to them.
  3. Extra winner for who knows what reason!!

If you win, I ask that you send $7 to cover the shipping costs. I'll probably give the winner more than they need unless you have a huge tank. They'll be coming from a 150G and two 75G full of it.

** Potential snails

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
O I have plenty of interest just had to take some pics of my setup. Its pretty messy I didn't think I would be posting pics. Now I took all the pics and you don't want them anymore lol too bad I'm posting them.

Pic #1 is the new 29 gallon tank (on top) cycling while my guppies are stuck in the 20 gallon (bottom) until its complete. If you look closely you can see my dying java moss in the bottom corner (still looks exactly how I got it 2 weeks later, I really thought it would start to green up). As you can see the 20 gallon is more plastic crap than real plants. I don't want anything fake in the new tank.

#2 is the 29 gallon that I want to be planted. I have a few plants already but the only thing I have floating is the Egeria Densa and it is not enough cover for the guppy fry. The driftwood is staying in the tank but the rock and shell are from my 20 gallon to spread some BB.

#3 Is a closer look at the 20 gallon, you can see how bad my Amazon sword is doing (had it for a year just learned about root tabs last week :|).

#4 is my 100 or 125 gallon (not sure which one I should measure it). It houses my 2 Red Eared Sliders (and 1 guppy that they can't catch). This tank used to look way better but one day the male turtle (on the right) hit puberty and ever since then I couldn't keep them together (female turtle doesn't want to mate so he tries to kill her). I don't have room for another tank right now or they would be separated for her safety but for now the egg crate lined with suction cups has been working but it cuts their swimming area in half and I don't think that's fair for either one of them. I'm in for the long haul with these guys had them since they were 1 (that was 15 years ago) to attached to get rid of the boy even though he randomly turned evil.

The only reason I added #4 was to show that there is no such thing as to much floating plants because these guys eat 99% of any real plant I've tried in their tank (which is good since vegetation should be a good portion of their diets).

EDIT: I have no problems with snails. I have Ramshorn, MTS, and 2 nerites. I will hopefully be able to move just some MTS and the nerites to the new tank. The turtle tank will get all the ramshorns I can pick out (they find them delicious).
EDIT #2: I think you also asked why we wanted them so I'll answer that, I was going to order some more duckweed online just because I wanted some floating plant cover but with the combo that you are offering I have a better chance of finding a floating plant that thrives in my aquarium enough to provide adequate fry cover (and soon RCS cover) and hopefully reproduces quickly enough to give my turtles a handful every week or 2.

Attachments

Reactions: Termato

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
:D :D :D I'll leave this open until everyone gets a chance to see it then. I did realize that some people aren't on here daily. I was just impatient hahahaha. As soon as I saw you post I re-edited the RAOK.

The duckweed spread like crazy. It's uncontrollable. The duckweed has great roots for fry though.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks. I saw it yesterday but my tank lights were already off so I waited to take pics today.
After taking the pic of the turtle tank I felt bad so I'm in the middle of a teardown, in the end it will probably look 90% the same because most of the stuff I'm changing is hidden but I know its there and helping.

Glad you reposted it, I'm sure there will be more people who want/need a few floating plants. Realistically if you went on a aquatic turtle forum you would have more requests than you'd know what to do with. That's 3 of the top 5 aquatic turtle foods you're giving away.

·
Registered
104 Posts

I have 3 tanks. The 8 gallon tank has guppy fries and one Betta fry. My divided 20 gallon tank had guppies and female Bettas, the Jebo tank 16.3 gallon has 11 otos and 5 female smaragdina.

My favorite floaters are large duckweeds, frogbit, and dwarf water lettuce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Termato - It looks like giant duckweed. Unfortunately, I also have that mix in one of my tanks. I was trying to keep the duckweed, salvinia, frogbit and dwarf water lettuce separate, but it's gotten mixed together in my 40 long. I may need to start over with that tank or learn to live with it. :frown2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is a little outdated picture but never the less I like it. This is a 40 gallon long aquarium. Since this picture has been taken a lot of the foreground has filled in and I added a few more plants. However, what I still have yet to acquired was floating plants which have always captured my eye for being a very unique addition to an aquarium. Unfortunately, no fish shops in my area sells these plants and I have never gone through with purchasing plants online. You can imagine how excited I was to read this thread title! :)

If I win these plants they will make a great addition to my 40 gallon however, I have also acquired a 135gal aquarium that I have just set up and I would love to include these plants in there to help with extra nutrients while I finish stocking it with plants. (I included a picture of the driftwood layout when I was in the planning stages)

As for my favorite floating plant I would have to give that title to the Dwarf Water Lettuce. I love the shape of the leaves and how they grow out from the center of the plant. Also dwarf water lettuce has a longer root structure that I think would look nice in my big 135 aquarium.

Thanks for the RAOK!! :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm jealous of your 135 gal tank and that awesome driftwood.

How can you tell the difference between duckweed and frogbit?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm jealous of your 135 gal tank and that awesome driftwood.

How can you tell the difference between duckweed and frogbit?
Mostly the color is brighter in duckweed and the shape is different. I think duckweed is smaller, even the giant one I have. Also, duckweed sits differently in the water. it sits lower than salvania, frogbit, and DWL.

Those are the differences I've noticed at least.

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is a little outdated picture but never the less I like it. This is a 40 gallon long aquarium. Since this picture has been taken a lot of the foreground has filled in and I added a few more plants. However, what I still have yet to acquired was floating plants which have always captured my eye for being a very unique addition to an aquarium. Unfortunately, no fish shops in my area sells these plants and I have never gone through with purchasing plants online. You can imagine how excited I was to read this thread title! :)

If I win these plants they will make a great addition to my 40 gallon however, I have also acquired a 135gal aquarium that I have just set up and I would love to include these plants in there to help with extra nutrients while I finish stocking it with plants. (I included a picture of the driftwood layout when I was in the planning stages)

As for my favorite floating plant I would have to give that title to the Dwarf Water Lettuce. I love the shape of the leaves and how they grow out from the center of the plant. Also dwarf water lettuce has a longer root structure that I think would look nice in my big 135 aquarium.

Thanks for the RAOK!! :smile2:

I'm not entering , but what are those gold fish in the picture? Rams? They are gorgeous!!!!!

I may have to do this soon as well, got tons of water lettuce....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not entering , but what are those gold fish in the picture? Rams? They are gorgeous!!!!!

I may have to do this soon as well, got tons of water lettuce....

I think you may be referring to the harlequin rasbora tetras in the picture. You can also see lemon tetras, a cardinal and an otto cat! :smile2:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've got a 12 Gallon Bookshelf tank. I've got a finnex 24/7 over it and it's just too much light. I could hook it to a timer, but then I miss out on the 24/7 benefits. I really need some floaters to cut out some of the light. My pretty plants are starting to get a cover of algae and its making me very sad. Please rescue my plants.

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
UPDATED

Due to some recent good news from RWaters, we will be waiting to pick the winners until Sunday. RWaters has offered up the exact same mixture of plants, making room for more winners! We'll be shipping out to a total of 5 lucky winners! Thanks @RWaters!

Shipments will go out Monday or Tuesday of next week.

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
I've got a 12 Gallon Bookshelf tank. I've got a finnex 24/7 over it and it's just too much light. I could hook it to a timer, but then I miss out on the 24/7 benefits. I really need some floaters to cut out some of the light. My pretty plants are starting to get a cover of algae and its making me very sad. Please rescue my plants.
Floaters can only do so much for this shallow tank. I have lots of experience with this particular size. I best suggest you hand it at LEAST 12" above the top of the tank if you want to do 24/7 if not more. I hag my light 12" here -> http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...gallon-rimless-wanna-get-1-post-see-here.html
and I still have to put it on a timer to not get any algae at the very bottom of the tank. Using FugeRay too :grin2:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
UPDATED

Due to some recent good news from RWaters, we will be waiting to pick the winners until Sunday. RWaters has offered up the exact same mixture of plants, making room for more winners! We'll be shipping out to a total of 5 lucky winners! Thanks @RWaters!

Shipments will go out Monday or Tuesday of next week.
Actually,it's not the exact same mix. I have a lot more dwarf water lettuce. It's probably closer to 75% duckweed, 20% DWL and 5% salvinia.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@MsNemoShrimp I am going to be getting one of those 12.5 gallons pretty soon. That and a 33G Long. I already have a 20G Long. I love long tanks!

So far I have enough to send to everyone here. It's grown in that much since I've posted this. We can probably take on two more people and still send to everyone.
@RWaters what do you say we split them up on how many you can send to and I'll send as much as I can to the rest. I have a lot. Three tanks full.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Termato - So far, it looks like there are only four people interested in the floaters.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Drewet88 @jordancwid and @davinci27 I will be PMing you my email for paypal shipment covering. I can have them out tomorrow or Tuesday.

@Whitemage09 please message @PWaters for your plants!

@Nick00Merlin I still have an extra package for you after these.

This RAOK is now closed :) I want thank RWaters for offering up the plants! Always makes it better to give more. Thanks everyone for participating. Glad everyone got plants, too!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts