The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, even if you replace the actinic with a 6700K...it still seems a good deal. Might order that for my 55G.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Mavvy said:
Well, even if you replace the actinic with a 6700K...it still seems a good deal. Might order that for my 55G.
yup, was thinking the same thing with a 9325k

·
Registered
653 Posts
Gomer said:
http://www.ahsupply.com/Comparison.htm

thought this might be relevant. Yes it is a marketing tool for AH, but seeing is believing at AGA ;)
No doubt in my mind that it isn't true. Theres almost no room for the reflector to be of any use and not utilizing as much of the bulbs surface as possible.
BUT, I want to take it apart for my own canopy and add my own reflectors

·
Registered
979 Posts
Ming is a man (I hope I got that right) after my own heart and I've been looking at just that idea with Aquatraders.

I have a very bad habit of looking at things and thinking how I can use them for things other than originally intended. Sometimes it works, sometimes I end up in the ER but hey, without good ol yankee ingenuity and duct tape, Americans would still be drowning witches.

·
Registered
653 Posts
lol, yes I am a man
Granted my DIY projects usually turn out looking uglier then it was in my mind, but it always worked!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought the 24" 65w Odysea on an impulse for 29.99 from a new pet store in the SF bay area. The store sells a lot of off brand items from asia such as Jebo (?) canister filters starting at 39.99.
Anyway, it was an impulse buy and I figured for the price I could always just tear it apart for parts if I didn't like it. My first hint was when I asked the owner of the store about the return policy. He said No returns because that was how he kept his prices so low :confused: .
I got it home and checked it out. The housing was built well but like mentioned in the above article not much space was left in the housing for the reflector. I also noticed that the bulb was labeled as 12K. Put it on my 18H tank and turned it on. Talk about being a little dissapointed! The light wasn't even close to being as bright as my 2 ODNO 18" bulbs. It was also pretty blue/purple probablybecause of the 12K bulb. The light is sitting in my garage at the moment.
I'll probably try to use it on a 5g tank I'm going to set up as an experiment in the garage.
Like the saying goes, you get what you pay for :icon_conf

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Bill - If the fixture is not to your liking and you're for DIY projects, it is a fairly inexpensive source for parts. Yesterday I saw someone selling their gutted out Jebo fixture on ebay (can't find it now, must be sold). They believed it came with Fulham Workhorse ballasts and in the pictures they looked like Fulham.Thats two quality Workhorse 5 ballasts and 2 10k bulbs to start. Reflectors from AHSupply can be added since they are sold separately.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
Gomer said:
http://www.ahsupply.com/Comparison.htm

thought this might be relevant. Yes it is a marketing tool for AH, but seeing is believing at AGA ;)
Haha, it's hilarious how vehemently AHSupply tears into that product. I guess it's worth pointing out that the fixture isn't really ideal for a planted tank as a ready-to-go light strip. First of all, AHSupply neglected to mention the actinic bulbs. That's easily a huge part of the reason their setup saw 2 1/2 times the output. I'm sure their Reflectors and bulb spacing had something to do with it, but for those that are interested in Ming's link, you can hardly buy the ballasts and bulbs for that price so it is still quite a good deal.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
What about their MH pendants. Can't go wrong with the reflector, comes with an electronic ballast, built in timer and comes with the bulbs (ask them to switch them) for $200. They are in San Bruno so I will go check them out this weekend.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
If you can hardly buy the ballasts and bulbs for the price of that whole unit...shouldn't that put up a red flag? "Hey, maybe these are really crappy ballasts..."

I can tell you, hands down, not all electronic ballasts are good. I bought a kitchen light fixture from home depot...$40. Uses 2 circline bulbs on a single electronic ballast. In under 6 months, half the ballast burned out, so only half the fixture is usable now.

Cheap?...yes! Good?....not so much.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've got that lighting fixture for my 20 gallon... It's my first tank so I can't really tell the difference between a Jebo and a higher brand light because I've not owned one.

But I can take a picture of the hardware if you guys like. just let me know...For a newbie, the hardware looks cheap but I don't think my plants care...actually they have really liked it because I've seen a lot of growth since I've gotten this light. Compared to 4 - 10W 6500k Walmart lights that I used to have.

·
Registered
38 Posts
aquatraders is the name of the place where I bought the light, just couldn't remember the name at the time. I just checked out the website and noticed that the MH fixture was not available yet and I didn't see it at the store when I visited. I have not yet tried the fixture with a different bulb yet because a new bulb woul probably be as much as I spent for the whole fixture!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Ive been to this shop numerous amounts of time, was just there the other day. They use to be at down town san bruno and now they moved to San Bruno ave. few blocks from El Camino Real. They do have decent deals on fish but they are not in the best conditions. I wouldnt buy anything from them that might need replacement parts down the line.

Thats a great price for the lights...

·
Banned
393 Posts
GulfCoastAquarian said:
Haha, it's hilarious how vehemently AHSupply tears into that product. I guess it's worth pointing out that the fixture isn't really ideal for a planted tank as a ready-to-go light strip. First of all, AHSupply neglected to mention the actinic bulbs.

You need to read what it said before you fly off with a statement like that:

" we loaded it and our 2x55w kit with fresh 6700K bulbs "

·
Registered
64 Posts
I haven't decided yet, but I might take the plunge and order some of these lights. I have been looking for something to replace my ODNO setup and this might fit the bill. I will probably end up gutting the fixture, so the reflector issue is not that big of a deal for me.

Dan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts