The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really want a planted nano for a desktop. Would like 6 gallons.

What would be an extreme tight-wad budget setup.

Thank-you in advance!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$10 5.5gal tank
$10 desk lamp
$3 daylight CFL
$5 sand
$15 for AquaClear 20 filter or $10 for a small sponge filter and air pump

Or find a deal on Craigslist.
Cool, what about plant suggestions for this tank? Would I use Co2 or Flourish, or diy yeast? Thanks for any ideas!

·
Registered
308 Posts
For a super budget nano I would suggest anubias (petite are nice), java fern varities, mosses, dwarf sag, etc.
That way you don't need to get CO2/high lighting.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It would set you back in regard to funds due to having to purchase everything that you would need to set up a CO2 system..unless you go with a DIY yeast setup which can be less consistent and require more effort. Low light can also reflect on your electricity bill (but since your aquarium is only 6 gallons, that wouldn't really matter). You would also probably need to add fertilizers if you decide to go with CO2 and high light which will add to the cost of your aquarium set up and maintenance (although you could try soil underneath some sand).
When it comes to a tight budget and planted aquariums, I have quite a bit of experience ;)

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
For a super budget nano I would suggest anubias (petite are nice), java fern varities, mosses, dwarf sag, etc.
That way you don't need to get CO2/high lighting.

If you go this way it would be the cheapest because you don't need any kind of CO2, ferts, or high lighting to have a successful tank.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may up my budget a bit. I am looking at the fluval spec and I am really in love with the look of these tanks. Would be great to have one. The 6 gallon is $80 at petco/petsmart.

All I would need then is the heater and some test kits.

I think I will keep it low light. Just wondering how to make a good looking low light setup. Seems like all the low light nanos I see are algae ridden messes or domintated by boring anubius (yep I said it, its boring, sorry).

·
Registered
308 Posts
I never had problems with algae even with 60 watts of light over a 10 gallon aquarium filled with low light plants. I believe my success had/has to do with the shrimp that I keep. If you don't want to have a shrimp only aquarium, I suggest getting some amano shrimp to keep the algae at bay. Nerite shrimp and otos are also pretty popular. Also mix up the slow growing plants with some faster growing ones (like guppy grass or some floaters like duckweed).

Anubias can be boring, but there any many different types and you can mix and match. Java ferns, pellia (mini pellia is one of my favorites), and mosses (fissidens is always awesome) can also add to diversity and come in many different shapes and sizes. You can also get some bolbitis and dwarf sag. Crypts are always an option, but you would need a somewhat nutrient rich substrate or fish that crap quite often.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I may up my budget a bit. I am looking at the fluval spec and I am really in love with the look of these tanks. Would be great to have one. The 6 gallon is $80 at petco/petsmart.

I think I will keep it low light. Just wondering how to make a good looking low light setup. Seems like all the low light nanos I see are algae ridden messes or domintated by boring anubius (yep I said it, its boring, sorry).
6? My Spec is 5.

The Edge is 6.

·
Registered
154 Posts

well you could always do a moss tank? i have an 8 in cube, its not an algae ridden mess or dominated by anubias. but it is dominated by moss haha. here is a pic of my tank as it stands now, well after the hurricane the downoi pretty much all melted :(.
Plus its on my desk, no co2 or anything. Just a light and filter

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
i've seen a tank about 6 gals with sand and a carpet of jungle val and some shrimp with a HOB filter. i think they just trimmed it to their liking. you could do that. val doesnt require high care or light along with sag. those two are considered to be really low maintenance. moss is also an option but its a little messy at times.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
well you could always do a moss tank? i have an 8 in cube, its not an algae ridden mess or dominated by anubias. but it is dominated by moss haha. here is a pic of my tank as it stands now, well after the hurricane the downoi pretty much all melted :(.
Plus its on my desk, no co2 or anything. Just a light and filter
Lovely!

Nice downoi!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I have the 5g spec and i use the spec light. i grow crypts, floaters, moss and windlov java fern. it is home to only one girl betta. i use the buried flourish tablets and no other ferts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts