The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my XP3s finally bit the dust after 13 years of faithful service...I am looking to replace it and came across a SunSun HW-304A. I will admit I like the price of $90 shipped...and the flow of 530GPH does seem nice. I am concerned with the quality of the item...how does it compare to other similar filters like the XP3 or Fluval 406?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You are definitely going to get people on both sides of the fence with this post. There are people that love them and others like me that believe that you get what you pay for. I highly doubt you will get 13 years out of one, but that's just my humble opinion. Fluval and eheim all the way

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
For me its a no brainer...You had your XP-3 for 13 years LOL replace it with another one from Big Als with the coupon code for $107 shipped and enjoy another 13 years ;-)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What coupon code are you referring?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've had fluvals in the past but recently purchased a Sunsun 303B and couldn't be happier with it so far large media trays and great flow at this point the build quality is better then the old Fluval 305 I had for over 12 years at nearly half the price the only weak link I see is the plastic for the intake and outflow pipes it looks and feels kinda cheap but unless your hammering nails with them it should hold up just fine and I do like how adjustable the intake and outflow pipes are you can more easily custom fit them to your tank then what came with my old Fluval.

Do your own research here and on you tube and see if it will work for you. After having it setup I find it compares quite well to the higher end filters I only have experience with Fluval and Eheim can't speak for any of the others out there .

·
Registered
588 Posts
The coupon code for Big Al's is in the sponsor forum.

They have the best price I could find on the Rena/API filters. And the additional 10% makes it even better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts