The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a new semi-permanant home for my juvie Jaguar cichlid and was looking at this SunSun 304 as an option. The only experience I've had with Sunsun was the 302 on a fry tank years ago. How does the 304 compare to say an XP-L in terms of flow rate and media capacity? Would the filter be adequate for a 75G alone or in conjunction with a HOB?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I have SunSun 304B's, not all that strong (but I do have jampack it full of media, left the tubing full length and have it sitting under the tank). I would say one 304 is barely enough flow for a 55 gallon. I mean it could filter a 75 gallon or even a 90 gallon, but I definitely would use an additional circulation pump or powerhead just to get more circulation within the tank.

I haven't used Rena's, Cascade's or Fluval canisters so I can't compare, but if they do have more flow within a reasonable price, I might suggest the others.
I still do like SunSun's for their price and they have been reliable for me, but do have less outflow than I would like.
I have had a single SunSun 304B running a overstocked 100 gallon just fine for many months and it did the job fine. But I liked to have more water circulation for the plants and all, and I do like to overfilter so I added extra filters, but they weren't "necessary" as the lone 304 was keeping ammonia and nitrites in check even though it was overstocked with not the best circulation. So it could work, but if another has more actual flow rate for about the same price, then get other brand.

Or just do a sump.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The others have less flow rate; but we all know how companies like to grossly inflate their filters performance. I primarily use rena canisters but their reliability has went down the toilet over the years, never have liked fluval much. I recently bought a cascade and really like it but I'd like to branch out and try something different not to mention a supposed 525gph canister for $80 is rely a sweet deal if it's worth bringing home.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Those are just the rated flow rates of the pump operating at a level head height with no media, tubing or needing to push water up/vertically at all (level). So the realistic flow rates are much lower once you factor in media obstructions, length of tubing, if the tubing has restricting bends/loops, how high it has to push the water up to the tank above, etc.
I have never tested the realistic flow rate of any of my filters, but those that have, say SunSun's realistic flow rate is around half of the listed GPH. I might agree, but I have done a test to verify, but it is indeed much lower flow rate than the 525 GPH, which would nearly be 10x turn over rate on a 55 gallon and it certainly was not nearly that high of a turn over rate.
I have heard Eheim, and possibly Fluval too, list their flow rates based on realistic tests.
I'm not sure about the other brands. Hopefully owners of a SunSun and other brands can comment on the flow rates they are getting.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tested canisters flow even without media and it is less than promised at standard tank height. I'd venture the tests are measured coming right out of the exit point. Flow rate in itself isn't that important if it is decent enough to provide ample filtration for a tank this size. I plan to leave my Jag in this tank till it reaches 13-14" so the filter needs to handle the mess of an eventually large fish. Tank will only have moss or floating plants...fish mauls everything else at only 4". Lol

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I had great success with mine. I suggest, quite highly, another circulation pump or air stones. I used air stones in the middle of the tank. I had a 304B on my 75g. I had a 302 for over a year with no issues prior to my 304B. I enjoyed both of them. The issue, for me, is the spray bar limits the flow. I like using it to create surface agitation, but it only creates decent current across about half the tank (2' of the 4' span). So I put a couple air stones in the center, back, of the tank and pointed the spray bar more horizontally than previously. Worked out for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.