The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Nice yellow shrimp... You can call them anything for marketing purposes (lemon shrimp, sunkist shrimp, Aztec shrimp de la Raza), but it's a yellow shrimp. I hope you got them for $3 or less, as there are awesome yellow shrimp generally available in our marketplace for around that amount.

Oh yeah, if it turns orange, it's not a yellow shrimp. I have a couple of yellows that have turned a day-glo, lime green, though. I do have a few yellows whose carapace get kinda orange when they eat brown/reddish flakes.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Good price. They go for $7-8 at the only pet store that stocks them around here. Very pretty shrimp, and you got good coloration.
Ouch! You can definitely beat that via TPT's marketplace... and the coloration is just as good, if not better. I might pay that for shrimp scampi at the Dead Lobster, though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This Definitely looks like a Neocaridina heteropoda var. yellow.. Sunkists look more Orange than yellow...

as a side note sunkist or Caridina cf. propinqua, will reproduce without salt water stage I know several people breeding them.

One thing I will tell you is never buy a fish or invert by its common name, confirm the scientific name.... The reason I say this is because some large commercial breeders mis-use common names in the sale of there items and you may not buy what you think your buying...

I know this to be True with one of the biggest farms because I was seeking a specific fish a "true Siamese algae eater". but the supplier called it a Siamese Flying Fox.. SAE's are not Flying Foxes though they are closely related not the same. This happens with shrimp at pet stores because Pet smart, Petco , and even your mom and pop shop are all supplied by the same suppliers ( segrest farms most of the time) and believe what they are told. Use this link see if your pet store shows up http://www.segrestfarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=petshop.locator...

DO you research its that simple

http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php/224-Neocaridina-heteropoda-var-yellow-%28Yellow-Shrimp%29

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.