The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, this has been a big thing in my family at least, where they treat returning from vacation with a good tan with the same enthusiasm as they would getting into an ivy league, a wedding announcement, etc. (cheers and hoorahs)

I can't tan personally, but I don't think I'd ever try spray tans or tanning booths. For tanning booths, they just seem claustrophobic, and it doesn't seem safe. And spray tans look bad to me.

So what are people's opinions on sun tanning/tanning booths/spray tans? Good? Bad? Goofy? Just plain weird (Jersey Shore)?

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Tanning beds are unhealthy for most people. Nothing like getting skin cancer by forcing yourself to tan/burn when your skin is not supposed to do so. If you are pale hair, pale skin, light eyes, you shouldn't tan. Spray tans always look fake and just Sesame Streetish.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Im half greek, thus Im naturally fairly tan anyway.

I dont understand the obsession that a lot of people have with skin tone, accept what you have and deal with it. I do feel for people who are very pale and burn easily tho.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I'm too tired...anyone want to make a joke about using our aquarium lights to tan? You know, something technical and geeky, that we'd all laugh at but would never admit to laughing over with a non-plantedtank(er?).
lol!

·
Registered
472 Posts
hahaha! I'd call myself half fair half olive skinnned? I avoid the sun because I see my grandpa and he is soooo dark! I used to tan very dark in summer but now since I avoided the sun I just burn :(

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was in a waiting room a few weeks ago, looking out the window, and there was a tanning parlour next door. I saw a bunch of people go in, come out like 30 minutes later, and looked baaarely different, but it was only in a '...something is not right' way. When I was leaving, I looked in, and they started at $50 for MEMBERS per tan. People I've met that go tanning do it several times a week. Also, it's sunny EVERY. DAY.

Meanwhile, I'm living under an umbrella, in this perpetual OH GOD SKIN CANCER bubble. I coat myself in skin stuff religiously. ...I also supposedly have a porphyria, which makes me not like the sun, so really, I have no idea if I'd even be out there long enough to get anything.

...Or course, this is all silly, because I'm actually rather dark, so I probably have considerably smaller chances of the sun doing things to me. (I'm kinda pasty right now, but I'm still pretty tan. I get ridiculously dark if I do go outside.) Of course, I grew up with a grandfather who had skin cancer on his face, which was all kinda of traumatic. (He was blonde, blue eyed and in Africa.)

But I just want to be pasty. Go away, sun. *hiss*

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oh, don't worry. I'm still in a MUST PROTECT SKIN FROM SUN fervor. And I usually wear a suit, so at least, most sun probably isn't hitting a large portion of me.

...Actually, it's kinda nice to know my MUST PROTECT SELF paranoia isn't pointless. Even, if its still like, terrifying.

Only mole I'm suspicious of is on my forehead, so it's really hard NOT to watch it like a hawk. (it's just BARELY off centre. it drives me insane.) But I'm between insurances, so, can't go for now. But yeah, it drives me insane just on an aesthetic level, nevermind a health one. So I'm certainly getting it checked by a dermatologist.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.