The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a low tech, low light 56 column tank.

According to the very helpful graph and chart Hoppy provided, it looks like one 24W T5HO bulb right on top of the glass should be sufficient WITH a good reflector. Tank is 30x18x24" high.

I am debating whether to pull the guts out of the provided fluorescent hood and install a single 24" Sun Blast ballast and reflector (I can cut to fit the hood I think), or for the same cost, just buy a 24" Odyssea 2 bulb strip hood (legs extend to 30"). Or, go with a 36" version of the Odyssea because the bulb for the 24" is actually 22" which means there would be 4" of no light over the tank on each side.

I think my dilemma stems from hearing somewhere that the Odyssea reflectors were crappy. I also think I might be overthinking this. The easiest thing would be to get the 24" Odyssea, and just use one bulb. Is this a bad idea?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, asked and answered myself, I guess. Can anyone give me the link to the site that tested the Odyssea T5HO fixtures that Hoppy mentioned towards the end of his sticky?

Here's another question-

Is finding the correct amount of light simply a matter of lengthening periods of lights on/off, once you have roughly the correct type of light? Or is it a big trial and error nightmare of calculating distance from water surface, lighting period, bulbs, types of bulb, etc?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.