The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm setting up a new tank with a sump. The sump is an 18" cube with 2 baffles, like the picture below. I'm a little unsure if I should be putting my drains from the display into the left side, or right side? I realize this is probably a less than ideal design, but it's what I've got, so I'd like to use it as-is.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I would have water entering on the left with a big sponge or sponges filling up the bottom 8 inches of the left compartment. I would put bags of bio media in the middle section. Then I would put the return pump and heater in the right compartment.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Any reason why the baffle is at 6" only? I'd raise both baffles a bit higher if you can (8-9" for the lower one). Doesn't really matter if your inflow is on the left or right side since the lower baffle determines the water height of the sump normally. You can run it higher than the lower height of the baffle is you're diligent enough with top offs or if you use a ATO device with the sensor above the 6" height.

The reason why I suggest raising it a bit higher is just mostly due to preference to get more water volume in there as well as have more flexibility with sneaking in equipment (e.g. heater height, media, etc.).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I agree, the baffles are really low, but the proportions of the whole sump are less than ideal. I was trying to avoid modifying the sump, my budget for this tank is spent already...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.