The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I have a 3 compartment sump for my new 4x2x2 tank

I want the middle compartment to have plants .... And possibly shrimp ..with a light overhead

Which plants would be best as filtration and for the shrimp

Regards
Mike

·
Registered
410 Posts
your talking about a refugium setup similar to what would be done on a saltwater tank. for filtering purpose you need a very fast growing plant. something such as watersprite would be ideal for this type of setup. grows super fast and pulls tons of stuff out of the water column. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've heard of hornwort being successfully used in a sump setup. It's super fast-growing, incredibly durable, and a good nitrate user.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Is your main tank going to be planted? If so why are you worried about extra nutrient removal? Do you plan on stocking heavily? Sorry to answer your question with more questions :)

But as far as good filtration plants go, watersprite is only surpassed by duckweed IMO. Java moss does a good job too. Perhaps a mixture of them. Shrimp dont really have a preference when it comes to plants. If you arent worried about maximum nutrient removal then plant whatever your heart desires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts