The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new aquarium in that is plumbed with three holes behind a weir. The tank I got came with some plumbing material, flexible 1" green tubing, some stand pipes, bulk heads, etc...please see photo attached.

My first question is how I can avoid pvc cement if possible, because I live in NYC and moving is always a possibility as I rent.

My second question is how do I connect the plastic green tubing to the pvc ball valve--also pictured--and what is the use of the small pvc pipe that narrows to a smaller aperture, pictured right next to the ball valve?

Do I need other materials to plump my sump in the way diagrammed in the second photo?

Thank you for any help. I am hoping to be able to take my tank with me if I ever move apartments in the near future

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm only about a month into having a tank with a sump, so please don't take what I say as gospel. I would read up about the Herbie Overflow, which is what I think your tank is setup for:

https://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

Your kit looks like it came with a ball valve for adjusting the main drain. I would switch that out for a gate valve if possible because it will allow you to fine tune the main drain, which will allow you to tune the system to be silent. I would also make sure that your return pump has adjustable flow. When properly tuned, with a good return pump, this setup is near silent.

To your last question, your kit should have come with some hose barbs that you would need to glue to the end of your PVC. In the second figure, it looks like the drain lines just dangle into your sump. You'll want to secure them in some way.

·
Registered
484 Posts
There are PVC union fittings that are very easy to take apart but also very bulky. There are also a large amount of threaded PVC fittings available that make disassembly pretty easy without the bulk of the union fittings.

I always use plumbers Teflon PASTE on my threaded fittings. The Teflon paste makes future disassembly / reassembly much easier as well as making the joints leak free. Teflon paste is tons better than Teflon tape if you have never tried the paste!

·
Registered
734 Posts
There seems to be discontinuity between the photo that you took of the parts versus the photo(shop) of the assembled sump. For one thing you have 90 degree hose barb "elbows" and the schematic would seem to call for straight hose barbs that are not really shown. I think that they joined two photos and painted in the blue tubing. Are you sure that you received the correct parts packet? Were there no instructions included?

If there are no instructions you will definitely need to do a lot of online reading regarding tank plumbing and choices for filter media. Reef tank sites will be best as sumps are far less common for planted tanks.

Good luck and keep us updated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.