The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gallon sump, which is 4 feet, by 18 inches. The drains go into the first section which have 4 filter socks. After that I have 4 areas to put media so on, the the pump area at the end.

What do you guys suggest?

The return area is packed with hardware so no more room in that section.

I was thinking poret foam I have 10, 20 & 30 PPI for one of the sections since I already have it, was also thinking Fluval BioMax Media as I have several trash bags full of this stuff. Just not sure what order to put in. I was thinking after the filter socks should I do a section of just poloy fill stuff?

Thanks

·
Registered
479 Posts
Coarse foam first, getting progressively finer. Ideally the coarse foam is also the easiest to remove and clean. After that you can do a section of polyfill or something to polish the water, a section of bio media, and if you really want the water to sparkle you can do a section of purigen.

The bio media should be after all the mechanical filtration since you want to keep it clean of gunk. The purigen should be after the mechanical, but it doesn't much matter where it goes in relation to the bio media.

Basically going from coarse -> fine helps it to filter better and means the finer stuff takes longer to gunk up, meaning you don't need to clean it as often.

·
Registered
143 Posts
if the first stage are filter socks, that is already your mechanical filtration and filter socks are great for it so just a suggestion is go for as much biological media in that chamber.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
if the first stage are filter socks, that is already your mechanical filtration and filter socks are great for it so just a suggestion is go for as much biological media in that chamber.

Filter socks are finner that foam too, so the foam will be pretty un used. The filter floss will probably do some work though.

I think you are in good shape and shouldn't run into any issues. If you want to fill in some areas, pots scrubs and seachem pond matrix are on the cheaper side of media.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.