The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40Gal sump under my 135Gal Oceanic and I have been unable to silence it water coming into the sump.

The tank is bottom drilled at the back corners and I have installed Durso standpipes for each of the overflows. The standpipes stopped the "toilet flushing" noise at the overflows but when the water travels thorough the plumbing and into the sump it pulls a fair amount of air with it. I have the plumbing discharge about 6" below the water level of my sump and the air constantly bubbles up through the water in the sump.

Is there any way I can stop the air from being sucked into the sump by the water traveling through the plumbing?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I just have a noisy sump! Doesn't the Beananimal system work by having one completely full siphon, one operating with nearly no water and an emergency siphon that is empty unless there is an emergency? Running a single full siphon is dangerous but maybe you could choke down the return pump to fill the siphon more so it pulls less air? My sponge prefilter quiets the noise pretty well. When I had a flexible tube it would trap air, if I raised and lowered the tube to get out the air it quieted the sump perfectly. Sometimes covering the vent with my hand gets the vortex just right so it is quiet but I haven't been able to get it right lately.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.