The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of filtration do you recommend for a 135 gallon tank. I want to plant it and because its such a big tank I wanted to use a sump but will that effect the plants and the co2 I'm injecting? If not a sump what should I use?

Thx

Misterthews

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. You are asking a very broad question, luckily we have several members who are maintaining planted aquaria with sumps. They cover just about every possible way to set up a sump system. I'm not sure is this works but lets give it a try.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/search.php?searchid=863022

This SHOULD link to a two page search of our forum for sumps. It would honestly help you narrow your questions down to the ones you need answered if you read these threads. Then ask slightly more pointed questions. Oh, don't worry if you find what looks like conflicting information, a lot of this hobby is opinion, not science, and we can help you sort through to the method that will work for you.

If the search link did not work, click on the Search in the second toolbar and select Advanced, type sump into the keyword text box on the upper left, select search titles only in the menu box just below it, and click Search Now at the bottom of the page.

PS I'm happily maintaining 4 large planted aquaria with sumps, the only actual filtration is the HOT Magnum that I put on tanks when I'm working in them and making a mess.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i think a sump would be a great filter for a big aquarium like your 135
all you have to do is keep the splashing? down low you will want to try to make it flow very fine... if you buy a sump with a refungum on it you can use that to grow LIMNOBIUM LAEVIGATUM which if im not mistaken helps fight aganst algea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts