The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had this thought and wonder if anyone has tried it before.

The stand pipe for my overflow on the top tank has a hole in the top to allow air to enter and prevent the toilet flushing noise. Where the water enters the sump I have a pipe go to the bottom of the at a 45° angle sump with a Y adapter on it that leads back up to the surface. This traps the air and allows the air to escape and eliminates the bubbling noise.

the problem is that the turbulence of the water and air in the pipe causes a lot of CO2 loss.

My thought is that since I have air entering the top and exiting the bottom, why not close the loop by connecting a hose between them. Thinking that maybe the trapped air would eventually come to match the CO2 content of the water and I'd stop loosing it there..

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sounds good to me not many sump users here i sugest asking on a salt fourm they would know how best to help as they use co2 to help break down calicum.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
While reefers inject CO2 into a calcium reactor, they have absolutely no interest maintaining dissolved gasses other than O2 as witnessed by the use of protein skimmers.

Given that CO2 is heavier than "air" I do not know if this method will have a substantial benefit over a moderately sealed sump.

Let us know how it goes!

Sounds good to me not many sump users here i suggest asking on a salt forum they would know how best to help as they use CO2 to help break down calicum.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
I just had this thought and wonder if anyone has tried it before.

The stand pipe for my overflow on the top tank has a hole in the top to allow air to enter and prevent the toilet flushing noise. Where the water enters the sump I have a pipe go to the bottom of the at a 45° angle sump with a Y adapter on it that leads back up to the surface. This traps the air and allows the air to escape and eliminates the bubbling noise.

the problem is that the turbulence of the water and air in the pipe causes a lot of CO2 loss.

My thought is that since I have air entering the top and exiting the bottom, why not close the loop by connecting a hose between them. Thinking that maybe the trapped air would eventually come to match the CO2 content of the water and I'd stop loosing it there..

Any thoughts?
Good idea but I think you will see minimal CO2 gains, it is outgassing most going into the overflow......DC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts